cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

24% Debt to Income was too high for NVR?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 24% Debt to Income was too high for NVR?

Hard to say without knowing more. Has she had late pays recently? With her scores hypothetically being that low you're going to have a tough time going conventional.

Spend he 60$ and get a MyFico 3B on her so you'll know for sure. Let us know what that says and we can be of more help. M

24% after house payment is really low. Do you have massive student loans or anything like that?
Message 11 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Her last one was in Jan, now I am on top of her credit since we make enough for her to pay she just doesn't. Nope no student loans just a CC with 6k I am paying off when someone royally messed up our taxes and we ended up owing money. Also the LO didn't sound concerned at all with getting us approved.

Message 12 of 26
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Is the 24% DTI you calculated before the mortgage, front end or back end? Did it include your wife's car payment?
Message 13 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes sorry before mortage, yes my wife car payment is included. Also does our rent being $2355 and our mortage right now would be $1900 work in our favor?

Message 14 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did they tell you what their max front end and back end DTI percentages are? It can vary by loan type.
Message 15 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

No they did not. They just said that their only worry was with me by myself on the loan to get the better rates my DTI is probably border line due to my wife car loan also being under my name.

Message 16 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

You said 150,000 was combined income, what is your income alone?
Message 17 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also is that 1900 including taxes, insurance and PMI? Or is that just principle and interest?
Message 18 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess it doesn't matter... You take the higher interest rate due to the low scores of your wife and get better DTI or take a chance with being denied due to DTI but with a better interest rate due to your higher scores. Can you get off your wife's loan?
Message 19 of 26
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes sorry before mortage, yes my wife car payment is included. Also does our rent being $2355 and our mortage right now would be $1900 work in our favor?

Take a look at the whole payment.

Your rent has nothing to do with your ratios when you are buying - I am assuming you will be moving into the new place and won't pay rent on the old place.

Your ratios are based on two criteria:

1) New house payment:  this is your principal, interest, property taxes, homeowners insurance, mortgage insurance (if applicable) and HOA fees (if applicable). This is known as your housing ratio or your front end ratio

2) Your total debt ratio is all of the above housing expenses plus your installment debt and revolving debt and student loans etc.  

Are you in a community property state?  There are only 9 in the entire country.  If so, then your spouse's debt would be included if you are going for a government type mortgage (FHA/VA/USDA).  If you are not in a community property state, then your spouse's debt is not added to your debt unless your spouse is also on the loan.  Where are you located?

What are your actual ratios? Have the LO tell you.  If you don't qualify by yourself with the car payment, then have your wife refi you out of it if you aren't in a community property state.

Closing her accounts may have hurt you in the short term. 

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.