cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

26 and wanting to buy a home (I NEED ADVISE BADLY)

tag
rhowar2199
Established Member

26 and wanting to buy a home (I NEED ADVISE BADLY)

This year is the year that I have decided I would like to purchase a condo for myself considering the type of job that I currently have, which I work half a year out to sea and is home on vacation the other half, so renting a apartment is not and option for me just a waste of money in my eyes. So im going to lay EVERYTHING out on the table and look for some really good advise on what the best options for me should be. I signed up for Lexington law back in Aug of 2012 and they have removed a GREAT deal of accounts for me in the past few months, I know everyone is going to say I could of done it myself and saved the money but due to no time and my job that was just not an opition... My current annual income is about 60k, 

And my credit profile is as followed:

Ally Bank Car          Payment $476.81     Bal is $24,323.00

Care Credit             Payment $     0.00     Bal is $          0.00   CL  $3,000.00

Citi Health Card     Payment $  57.00     Bal is  $  1,671.85   CL. $2000.00

Capital One            Payment $   15.00     Bal is $      480.00  CL   $  500.00  (Use Every Month & Pay Off)

Orchard Bank        Payment  $   25.00    Bal is $      390.00   CL  $   400.00  (Use Every Month & Pay Off)

I do have side items I pay for monthly but not too much my credit utilization is 28% according to my last credit report, my biggest question is if I try to open a new account preferably a personal loan, would this hurt my chance of getting a home with a newly aged account... And my credit score are not bad but not great either my Transunion is at 678 Equifax is at 648 Experian is at 660... Thanks in advance for the help...

Starting Score: 640
Current Score: 648
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Re: 26 and wanting to buy a home (I NEED ADVISE BADLY)

It depends how much house you are looking to purchase.

Personally I would purchase house 1st so I dont put my DTI out of range.

If your file doesnt have issues and you have an idea which house you want to purchase. You could be closed on home in less then 30 days.
Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 2 of 12
rhowar2199
Established Member

My file has a few dings from over three years ago but currently there are no dings on my credit profile.. I would like to purchase now but IM still on vacation and haven't been to work in a few months kind of need to save more down payment before applying for homes...

Message 3 of 12
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Ummmm cut vacation short and save some money! lol

We all understand and all been there......

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 4 of 12
rjohson
Established Member

Heres what I see from taking a quick glimsp at your situation.  You already are good with the different  types of credit.  you have both revolving and installment loans. what you need to do is pay off those low credit cards but dont close it out. if you cant pay it off then pay off 75% of each card, your good with the 24000, installment loan, next what you want to to is google  how to opt out of pre approval credit card offers, when you find the site opt out for 5 years. (that is take your name offf the list from reciving those pre approval offers. if you do that your score will jump up at least 60 points, write me back and tell me when it does.

Message 5 of 12
rhowar2199
Established Member

rjohson I do use the smaller credit cards I use them up every month and pay them both off before the statement prints out so every month it shows a $0.00 balance and the 2 smaller credit cards (Capital one and Orchard bank) but Im not able to pay down the bigger credit card on Citi cards until a few months from now... Are you saying that by me signing up for opt out pre-screening I can instantly increase my score by 60 points?

Message 6 of 12
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

So OP, are you saying that those high balances you reported are not listed on your credit report? Because you said that you PIF every month before the statement cuts. If yes, then what are the real balances that are reflected on your credit report now?
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 7 of 12
sharpie
Regular Contributor

I opted out, it did nothing for my score.  But it is important to opt out anyway.

Message 8 of 12
rhowar2199
Established Member

The real balance that reflect my accounts are both $0.00 (Capital one and Orchard Bank) but I still owe one citi heath the $1600.00, I want to open a personal loan but not sure if its great idea seeing that I am trying to get a condo in 6 months 

Message 9 of 12
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Okay so you won't get any additional points for reducing utilization on those cards because they are already paid off.

But, you can gain probably 30-60 points for reducing the $1600 balance to 9%. That $1600 balance is really hurting your score.

Getting a personal loan before a mortgage is not a good idea because it can potentially affect your DTI and shrink the amount of home you can qualify for.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.