Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

30 Day Late Correction / Removal

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

30 Day Late Correction / Removal

Hello! I am currently in the middle of obtaining financing on a house I am building and have recently hit a snag. Since being preapproved for the mortgage, there have been two 30 day lates reported to my credit. One from Capital One for a January payment, which they reported 30 days late in February 2015 on my report. Another for Family Savings Credit Union for a personal loan I have that was due in October and not paid until December 1st, 2014.

I received a call about the Capital One 30-day late removal from the Executive Resolution Team yesterday, and as of today, received good news that they were going to request that the 30-day late be removed from my report since I have been a long time customer with them. It was pulling teeth to get to this point. Calling the customer service number, speaking with numerous supervisors, and I kept getting the answer "no" and "we don't have a policy in place where we can go in and just remove it from the report unless it was an error on our part." Thankfully, I found this site and got the email for the CEO of Capital One. Sent an email to him last week, received the call yesterday, and again today confirming it was being taken care of. She said she would have a letter to me no later than Monday AM for my mortgage broker showing they have reached out to the credit bureaus to have this removed. So I think we are squared away there, I'll just have to wait and see.

I contacted Family Savings thinking it should be no problem to get it removed because it shows 30 days late for December and I was not 30 days late on that payment. The first rep agreed with me and stated I was not 30 days late and was not sure why it would have been reported that way. She told me she would have a "Member Services" person call me back. They did. They told me that I was 30 days late on the October payment. I asked if it could be changed to show that way on my report instead of showing 30 days late in December because my mortgage loan officer told me that might help. They refused. I was informed that they report to the credit bureaus on the 1st of every month, so when they reported on December 1st and I was 30 days past due at that point for the October payment, they show me 30 days late for the month of December. The best they could offer was a letter for my lender explaining that I was not late on my payment for December so that way it would not appear like I was making payments late after I had applied for a mortgage, which is what my lender was concerned about. That and the fact it dropped my middle score to a 606 instead of the 650 that it was.

My question really is--is Family Savings right in their reporting? Even though the payment was for October, are they accurate in reporting 30 days late for December on my report? Also, my lender is telling me that I need to acquire a secured credit card with a limit of $300 and spend $10 only. Any idea why this might also help bring my credit up? Wouldn't that add an inquiry and show more debt? I know it's a small amount of debt, but I guess I'm not understanding how this would HELP me rather than hurt me in obtaining a mortgage.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Re: 30 Day Late Correction / Removal

OP, we've moved your thread to Mortgage Loans to help get you good answers.

As for the CC suggestion, it seems like your lender thinks you need to bolster UTIL on your revolving accounts.   How many open revolving accounts do you have?   What's your UTIL like on those accounts?

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

That works for me. I didn't really know where to post it. But I have $18,190 in credit card limits. I am only utilizing $3,600 of that. My credit  card utilization I have been told was perfectly fine as well as my DTI. I don't know if she suggested this because we weren't sure that Capital One would remove the 30-day late, but since they are, I can't see why a secured credit card would be needed. I just don't see how that would help my credit, I just see that it would cost me more money that I should be saving for closing. Smiley Indifferent

Message 3 of 5
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

That works for me. I didn't really know where to post it. But I have $18,190 in credit card limits. I am only utilizing $3,600 of that. My credit  card utilization I have been told was perfectly fine as well as my DTI. I don't know if she suggested this because we weren't sure that Capital One would remove the 30-day late, but since they are, I can't see why a secured credit card would be needed. I just don't see how that would help my credit, I just see that it would cost me more money that I should be saving for closing. Smiley Indifferent

I wouldn't recommend a secured card.   Your UTIL wouldn't be helped, you'd lower your AAoA, and you'd likely take a HP.    I think you'd be better off working on any other baddies or pushing your UTIL on your current cards further down.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 4 of 5
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Actually, they are correct.  For the month of December, even if it was just 1 day past, you were 30 days late on payment.  Because they report on the 1st of the month, the reporting was accurate at that time.  I"m assuming the statement 'cut off' was Nov 30th maybe?  Now, if you paid on Dec 1st and the statement cut off was Dec 2nd or beyond, then i think you would have an argument.

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.