cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

40 point drop, can I still acquire a mortgage?

tag
Yoshi2015
Contributor

40 point drop, can I still acquire a mortgage?

So I was working on adding accounts to my profile to get a score boost but I think I made a boo boo. I applied for two credit cards (unsecured) since all I had prior to was a secured WF card. I was approved for discover it chrome and capital one platinum. Well 3 months ago I applied for a loan consolidation for federal student loans, and had completely forgot about it. Well to say the least, both credit cards and the loan hit my reports at almost the same time. With the closed old student loan accounts and the credit cards, my scores plummeted from 646 to 599. I was hoping to still be trending upwards by this time to apply for a loan early December. How screwed am I? My husband has good credit, fico is at 703. Have I screwed up our chances for being approved for a loan? I am so upset with myself at this point. I'm almost to tears because I had worked so hard to get that 646! 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Lemmus
Established Contributor

Re: 40 point drop, can I still acquire a mortgage?

...been there, done that ...you're not the first and certainly not the last so don't go kicking yourself too hard

...long and short is yes and no ...it all depends on what you haven't told us 

...you can get a mortgage with as low as a 580 Fico if there is no recent negative on your reports and the rest of your credit profile meets the lender requirements

...but you will certainly pay a higher interest rate and the choice of lenders and programs will be greatly restricted

...thing is, you've learned a lesson the hard way ...don't do ANYTHING with your credit, other than repairs and paydowns, for a year before applying for a mortgage

...suggest you jump over to the gardening thread and read up on how others are managing that discipline

...then take a deep breath and start contacting mortgage brokers ...there are several who frequent this forum ...and let them find a lender who will work with you

...or put the mortgage on hold until you're back above 640

...hth

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Last HP: 11/04/15 | myFico 3B Jun 10 '15:FICO8 EQ - 752 | TU - 763 | EX - 750
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.