Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

401k loans effecting loan closing

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

401k loans effecting loan closing

I am sure this has been answered numerous time but I can't seem to find the exact answer.   I have applied for a mortgage loan with my wife and we have been preapproved for the ammount we were asking.  As I was look through the things needed for closing I noticed we have to bring in our 401K statements.  I took out a loan a few months back to clear debt so my DTI ratio looks good and now I am nervous when they see the 401K loan it will hurt me in the final approval.   So I guess my question is how do I answer the question when asked? and how will it effect my chances to close?  My wife and I make good salaries and have excellent credit.  Currently we have 3200 on credit cards which 75% of that will be paid of at the end of the month and have one car payment of $400 which is paid off in May.  any guidence would be greatly appeciated.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 401k loans effecting loan closing

@Anonymous wrote:

I am sure this has been answered numerous time but I can't seem to find the exact answer.   I have applied for a mortgage loan with my wife and we have been preapproved for the ammount we were asking.  As I was look through the things needed for closing I noticed we have to bring in our 401K statements.  I took out a loan a few months back to clear debt so my DTI ratio looks good and now I am nervous when they see the 401K loan it will hurt me in the final approval.   So I guess my question is how do I answer the question when asked? and how will it effect my chances to close?  My wife and I make good salaries and have excellent credit.  Currently we have 3200 on credit cards which 75% of that will be paid of at the end of the month and have one car payment of $400 which is paid off in May.  any guidence would be greatly appeciated.

Do they need the 401k to count as reserves? Are you using any part of your 401k for the downpayment? And a 401k loan doesn't impact your DTI, so no need to worry there.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a 401k through work (which the loan is through) and my wife and I have separte IRA that we contribute on our own.   I added the totals together in the loan application.  The amount in our IRA's is more than enough.  Speaking of reserves, I am doing a deal with my friend for his house and we are doing a contract for 60 days close so it gives me time to sell our house but if we don't I will still buy his.  The loan is refercing as if we will be caring two mortgages and it is asking we have 6 months in reserves. can I use my IRA which I can take money out for the reserves or do I need to have the reserves in cash?

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unless you can liquidate it all without penalty, your lender will count a portion (i.e. 60% of the total) that can be considered reserves.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Talking to my Financial planner, he said I can take out what I put in without penalty .  I will only get penalized for the dividends.  As for the 401K will they even bring it up? if so how do I answer that without it hurting me.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Talking to my Financial planner, he said I can take out what I put in without penalty .  I will only get penalized for the dividends.  As for the 401K will they even bring it up? if so I do I answer that won't hurt me.

As long as you have enough liquid to cover any required reserves you should be fine. Did you go to Wichita State? I have a lot of friends that went there.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did! Thanks for recognizing.  Do you have any idea on how to approch the 401K at final review?  They will also see the payments on my pay stubs.  Not sure I can hide it, but not sure how to answer so it won't hurt us.  Thanks for all your answers so far.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

No problem. They shouldn't care about the 401k loan, as they are not factored into one's DTI. The reason is if you "default" on a 401k loan, you don't owe anyone - you just get taxed.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great!! Thank You!!!!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.