Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

401ks

tag
Starr07
Valued Member

401ks

I have just started to look at mortgages for a new home. Is it typical for them to ask for a copy of your 401k? Why do they need this if you have sufficient funds for the down payment and PITI?

EQ at 696

Starting Score: 650
Current Score: EQ 741 TU 738
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: 401ks

Some people need reserves (funds available after you close) in order to qualify for the mortgage, and 60% of the vested portion in a 401k can be counted towards reserves.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 8
Starr07
Valued Member

When would you need to have reserves?

Message 3 of 8
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

When you don't qualify without them ;-)   <- that was my smart-alec response.

Most loans need reserves in order to qualify.  Absolutely situations are a primary residence conforming loan programs require 2 months of your proposed housing expense in reserves.  The two other common situations that may also need them is if you have a high debt to income ratio or have pecked credit.  Second home purchases & rental property purchases tend to need 6 months of the proposed housing expense in reserves.

There are literally dozens & dozens of reasons someone needs to have reserves, but only one reason for someone not needing reserves... and that is if you are qualifying for a program that doesn't need reserves, your debt to income ratio is within preferred levels, and your credit is excellent.  Any other situation you will more than likely need reserves.

If you've been asked to provide your retirement assets for verification, it is likely your loan officer has determined you'll need them in order to qualify.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Message 4 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I'm in the middle of the mortgage process too and the lender asked us to write down any asset we'd like the UWs to consider and have statements to back it up. As mentioned, reserves are needed just in case you suffer a medical issue, lose your job, become incapacitated, pass away, and so on. We put our 401(k) as an asset  too (though some months it felt like a liability) and the lender said they'd consider a portion of that as an asset (I think 50%).

Message 5 of 8
Starr07
Valued Member

Whidh loan programs do not require reserves?

We could qualify for a VA loan. My DTI and utilization rate are a bit high but I will pay down the balances before I begin the process. My current is 696 and my DH is 729. Once I pay down the balances the F\ICO simulator estimates our scores in the high 750s.

Message 6 of 8
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

FHA, VA & USDA loans don't require reserves unless your debt ratio is high and your credit isn't that great, if your credit is great they often don't need reserves (even with a high debt ratio), however the underwriter may feel that your loan is weak if you don't have any reserves and have a high debt ratio, because if things go wrong at all/take on any more debt, etc. you wouldn't have anything to fall back on.  Conforming loan programs such as Fannie Mae's MyCommunity Mortgage and Freddie Mac's HomePossible also don't require reserves, but they are only for buying in certain areas or if your income is in the low-to-moderate range for the county you are buying in.  VA is a great option, but if the debt ratio is over 41% it often needs some reserves due to it being 100% financing.  Putting 5-10% down with VA, and having high scores, will allow the debt ratio to go higher without having reserves.

Message 7 of 8
Starr07
Valued Member

We will probably go VA. Thanks. Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.