cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

41K salary, how much house can I afford?

tag
BayRaider510
Established Member

Re: 41K salary, how much house can I afford?

Shane, what is the max front ratio someone can go for USDA? I saw someone on this forum say 35% is usually the max but my lender said we can go past that?
Message 11 of 21
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

34/46% are the highest ratios I've seen get approved through GUS lately.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 12 of 21
BayRaider510
Established Member

But it is possible to go over that front ratio?
Message 13 of 21
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Not without an approval through GUS.  Without GUS approval the max front end is 32%, and you'd need a 680 score and a compensating factor of one of the below 3:

• The proposed PITI (proposed housing expense) is equal to or less than the applicant’s current verified housing expense for the 12 month period preceding loan application. Verification of housing expenses may be documented on a Verification of Rent (VOR) or credit report. The VOR or credit report must include the actual payment amount due and report no late payments or delinquency for the previous 12 months. Rent or mortgage payment histories from a family member will not be considered unless 12 months of canceled checks, money order receipts, or electronic payment confirmations are provided. A history of less than 12 months will not be considered an acceptable compensating factor OR

• Accumulated savings or cash reserves available post loan closing are equal to or greater than 3 months of PITI payments. A Verification of Deposit (VOD) or two consecutive bank statements, dated within 45 days of loan application, that document the average balance held by the applicant is required. Cash on hand is not eligible for consideration as a compensating factor.

• The applicant(s) (all employed applicants) has been continuously employed with their current primary employer for a minimum of 2 years. A “Request for Verification of Employment” (VOE) (Form RD 1910-5, comparable HUD/FHA/VA or Fannie Mae form, or other equivalent), or VOEs prepared by an employment verification service (The Work Number, etc.) must be provided. This compensating factor is not applicable for self-employed applicants

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Message 14 of 21
BayRaider510
Established Member

I meet the third one, been at my job over three years. Also have 740+ scores across all three bureaus. The house I want which I expect to hit the market in a few months will probably put me at a 36% front end ratio. What do you think my chances are?;
Message 15 of 21
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

If your front end ratio is 36% I do not think you will get a USDA approval, because as I said the highest we've been able to get approved through GUS is 34%.  I've discussed this with around a dozen other loan officers who all say they have been capped out at 34% as well.

Message 16 of 21
BayRaider510
Established Member

What if your front end ratio is the same as your back end ratio?

Also, what about manual underwriting?
Message 17 of 21
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@BayRaider510 wrote:
What if your front end ratio is the same as your back end ratio?

Also, what about manual underwriting?

Doesn't matter, there appears to be hard stops in the system.

Manual underwriting is 29/41%, with potentially up to 32/44% if those compensating factors I previously listed are met.

Message 18 of 21
sports1965
Frequent Contributor

Does this apply to FHA or conventional or both? 

Message 19 of 21
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@sports1965 wrote:

Does this apply to FHA or conventional or both? 

Neither, we are discussing USDA loans.

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.