cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4K Apartment Judgement..pay off or not before mortgage app?

tag
Yoshi2015
Contributor

4K Apartment Judgement..pay off or not before mortgage app?

I have a 4K judgement from 2010 in NC from an apartment where i had to break the lease. Since then, I have finished school and recently married. We are trying to apply for a mortgage here soon. Should I pay off the judgement in full or should I offer a settlement? Which option will help my score the most? Also, once paid how should I handle the judgement? Can it be removed? 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
woodsie1
Regular Contributor

Re: 4K Apartment Judgement..pay off or not before mortgage app?

I am in the process of having a paid judgment removed from my CR. my judgment was considered paid in full, so I contacted the attorney to file a satisfaction of judgement. He complied, so I used that satisfaction of judgment notice to file a motion to set aside judgement (vacate) on the grounds that the judgment was considered satisfied. On 10/02/15 I received notice from the court that the judge had dismissed the judgment (set aside). I used this proof to dispute with the credit reporting agencies. 

If if I were you I would contact the OC and offer a settlement in exchange for a satisfaction of judgment or better yet you can push your luck and see if their attorney will file a motion to vacate the judgment on your behalf. It never hurts to ask. Look online to see what the criteria is for vacating a judgment in NC.

Starting scores TU: 537 EQ: 571 Current Scores 8/2015 TU:641 EQ: 641EX: 643
4000 3600 30006200 VS: 2450 NY&CO: 2320

Message 2 of 3
Yoshi2015
Contributor

Re: 4K Apartment Judgement..pay off or not before mortgage app?

Ok that makes sense. Thanks for advice!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.