New Contributor
moneypenny02

5% conventional loan possible?

I am very confused, so I would love some help figuring this out. 

I am looking for a duplex in Los Angeles County (owner-occupied, first home).  My credit scores are btwn 780 - 804 (although they may go down a tad as I am in the midst of consolidating my student loans).  I will have between $30,000 - $45,000 for downpayment.  

Is it possible to get a conventional loan with 5% down in the present climate?

If so, what is the limit for a conventional loan in Los Angeles County? (I am reading both $417K and $625K).  

What is the likely interest rate, and where do I go to search out that type of product?? (e.g. credit union, major bank, broker, etc.)

Thank you!

Valued Contributor
tooleman694

Re: 5% conventional loan possible?

With your scores you can get anything you want lol.

5 or 3 percent down. Interest in the 3 percent range.

Established Contributor
203bravo

The only bump you may experience will be the investment side of the duplex.  Most want a larger down payment on an investment property so it will be important to find out how different lenders will view the duplex since it is considered a multi-family dwelling.

New Contributor
moneypenny02

I didn't even know that 3% loans were possible still!  

So, my remaining questions are: 

What would be the lending limits of a conventional loan with 3% or 5% down in Los Angeles County?  ($417K?  $625K? Something else?)

What types of lenders typically have this product available?

When trying to buy a house, does the seller tend to care whether there is a 3% or 5% downpayment? (or more)

Thanks so much!!!

Valued Contributor
beb86

Possible ..yes... but you will have to pay PMI

ccpics2.jpg
Valued Contributor
tooleman694

You can go up to 625k. Plus since your going conventional, you can get out of PMI.

I would do LPMI and take the upfront fee.

New Contributor
moneypenny02

[ Edited ]

I just spoke with a possible broker, and he gave me some clear guidance on this question -- thought I would share if anyone else is trying to get their heads around the same things.

* Re: Conventional loan:

- 5% vs. 3% down : both are possible, but 3% down requires substantially higher mortgage insurance

-  Loan limits: Single family limit is $417,00 max with 3-5% downpayment & $625 max with 10% downpayment; duplex is $533,000 max with 20% downpayment; triplex is $689,000.

Valued Contributor
tooleman694

But remember you can do LPMI, ask your broker about it. It will save you a ton with PMI.

New Contributor
moneypenny02

Unfortunately, since we want to get a duplex (unless we just can't find one), we will have to come up with 20% for a conventional.  Looks like FHA is going to be our only option, unless there are any financing mechanisms that still exist that will allow you to finance that remaining 10-15% of a conventional loan.  

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+