Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 months in

tag
Sbrooks1
Valued Contributor

5 months in

It's been months since I closed and I find out last week that what I thought was an empty lot behind my fence is actually my property. Now that may be good news to some! However, my realtor told me my line ended where she actually had her boyfriend install the fence the day if closing. This lot is also the burn site and junk sight for the builder. It still has small debris scattered through your and was about 3 ft of weeds before I had it mowed. It's a hot mess. The builder and realtor have agreed to move my fence, however I don't want to look at that mess everyday and have no idea how to establish some kind of grass and get it cleaned up. I would not have chosen this house had I known I was going to have to deal with this. Any ideas or advice.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 5 months in

They need to get a dumpster to clear out the major debris then you will need to make sure there is no metal debris like nails left then till the land and fertilize then sod or seed.
Message 2 of 11
Sbrooks1
Valued Contributor

I would not have purchased this home had I known that!! I made it clear to my realtor that a small lot was a priority and definitely don't have the time , energy, or funds to make this right
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think you can do anything about that now.... the deed is done. Are you really asking if you should sue? Or sell? Not many options besides those 3.
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could go to the realtors broker about the misrepresentation but did you ever get a survey? Not sure why she installed a fence without knowing property lines, was she very inexperienced?
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe they could leave the existing fence and additionally fence the extra portion. I once bought a rental wreck where the guy was an alcoholic...  Turned out he had been literally tossing his bottles in the  backyard for years apparently so his wife wouldn't notice all his drinking. Lol! As if?! Tons of broken glass mixed with dirt and garbage. That was a lesson I needed to learn, obviously.

Moral of the story, you are going to have to play it where it lies. Work something out if possible, get used to it if possible. The main concern at this point is not allowing the "spare land that nobody owns" to become a dumping ground. You may have an alcoholic neighbor... Smiley Tongue

Message 6 of 11
Sbrooks1
Valued Contributor

She said she assumed where the sod was indicated the property lines and I trusted her . I have gone to the broker and she is offering to move the fence while defending her agent. I can not afford to have this tilled and sodded or even grass seeds at this point . She has about 3 years experience.
Message 7 of 11
Sbrooks1
Valued Contributor

Also the builder did offer for me to donate it back to him- no thanks
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

sorry. It does appear that you own the land and now the land and any liability is yours. You may want to talk to a real estate lawyer but that is going to cost more than seed and tilling. I am sorry your so upset, being deceived is not nice but originally you asked what you could do to clear up the land.
Message 9 of 11
Sbrooks1
Valued Contributor

I am just going to have to put up a barrier so my small dogs can't get back there and work on it over time!
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.