Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

640??

tag
theheater30
Contributor

640??

Hi All! I have a question.. When reading a lot of the posts in the forum, I see that a lot people say that 640 middle score is the magic number in Mortgage lending... How exactly is 640 the magic number? Do they mean by rates? As in you begin to get more competitive rates at that point? Or AUS approval?

I have been doing what I can to educate myself. I know obviously being over 700 is the goal but for those of us hovering in the mid to high 600 range what does this mean?? LOL
5 REPLIES 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: 640??

@theheater30 wrote:
Hi All! I have a question.. When reading a lot of the posts in the forum, I see that a lot people say that 640 middle score is the magic number in Mortgage lending... How exactly is 640 the magic number? Do they mean by rates? As in you begin to get more competitive rates at that point? Or AUS approval?

I have been doing what I can to educate myself. I know obviously being over 700 is the goal but for those of us hovering in the mid to high 600 range what does this mean?? LOL

Depends on the type of mortgage.   Each lender has their minimum mid-score guidelines. However there are thresholds that appear more often than others:  some are 620, others are 640, and some are even higher than that.  Each lender can make the loan more restrictive, not less,  than what Fannie or Freddie or HUD requires.

USDA typically has a 640 mid-score min requirement

FHA: For many lenders they will use a 620 score - but some lender will go much lower. When you get to less than 580 then the down payment increases to 10% rather than 3.5% and other changes to the loan occur. Each lender has their own guidelines. 

Conventional loans start at about 620 but you end up paying a higher interest rate and higher PMI rate, if applicable, if you are below 700.  Actually if you compare coventional to FHA the breakpoint seems to be at 680, but check with your individual LO.  You get the very best interest rates if your score is 740 and up and the best PMI rate if your score is 760 or more.  

Message 2 of 6
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

640 was the magic number for fha for a while - that has loosened and we see banks allowing down to 600 and getting approvals

there are banks that state they will go down to 580 but I have not heard many success stories of people getting approvals at that level so I would stay above 600 minimum

USDA now has a minimum of 640 as stated above - 

For conventional I would try for at least a 680 score - anything lower will have a pretty negative impact on rate - 

Hope this helps

BrianBTheLoanProfesor

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 3 of 6
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

there is no magic number.

maybe 640 is a sweet spot for fha because scores below that usually get tight lender overlays. and more lenders will lend at 640 than below that mark.

Retired Lender
Message 4 of 6
theheater30
Contributor

Okay good to know! I've seen posts of people trying to reach various goals for a mortgage loan. Seems like 640 is one, then 680, then 700+... So just curious about the magic of 640 might be!! Thanks for all of the input everyone!!
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is 670 a safe mid score for approval without extensive overlays?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.