cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$7,500 Tax Credit is NOW..... FREE MONEY?!?!?!?!?!? Holy Cow!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: $7,500 Tax Credit is NOW..... FREE MONEY?!?!?!?!?!? Holy Cow!!

i havent finalized my return but myself and my wife paid a total of 14500 taxes this year to federal gov. We are getting a 3500 return back. So i take it I would get another 11000 this year and the other 4000 would be left for next year?

I just hope my closing date of feb 11th is somehow part of this bill :/

I am buying a foreclosure as most of you probably know and that 15k would be pumped right back into the house , thus boosting the economy?

Really would help and I bet it would help many others in this thread.

btw w/ the salary talk , we made about 85k this year so we are under the 100k.  

Message Edited by aimetti on 02-07-2009 06:29 AM
Message 201 of 329
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, so some clarification on refundable vs non-refundable.  Heres the hypothetical situation (which seems very likely in my case):  Let's say I close the week after Obama signs the bill into law, and it stays as a non-refundable credit.  Well, turns out I dont owe any taxes this year (im getting a small refund), does this mean I won;t receive any of the 15k?  Thanks for any explanation.
Message 202 of 329
john398
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I don't understand these "you'd have to make six figures" comments.  I'm self-employed and make under "6 figures" but owe a little over $8K in taxes for 2008.  So this tax credit would definitely benefit me.  And the money that I would not have to pay the IRS would be spent on some new furniture, landscaping, etc.  Being able to claim a credit that keeps me from sending in a check for money owed is the same as getting cash handed to me, as far as I'm concerned.

Remember that example said 4 kids, if you have no kids obviosly you pay more taxes

Message 203 of 329
Anonymous
Not applicable

Right now, the 15K stimulus won't go into affect until the Obama packaged is passed.  Unfortunately, from what I heard, you wouldn't be eligible for it since start date would be 24 hours after the day its passed.  You would, however, still qualify for the $7500 if you are 1st time homebuyer, I believe.  Things can change daily with the package, though...
Message 204 of 329
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good point, MXNUY.  Self employed would be another section of the demographics that could really benefit from this.  
Message Edited by loonzilla on 02-07-2009 06:42 AM
Message 205 of 329
Anonymous
Not applicable

I **think** it means that it's not a "dollar-for-dollar" tax break. Meaning, it's like durn nigh every single *other* tax credits out there.

Like this, you're due a $1500 refund (before using the $15K credit) and you decide to use the $15K to plump up your refund. Well, it **will** plump up your refund, but by only about $3K (even if you use the entire $15K credit).

Meaning, a **percentage** of the $15K ends up offsetting your taxes. You do NOT get the entire $15K credit as a refund dollar for dollar.

Did that make sense??
Message 206 of 329
Lehrer29
Valued Member

Yes, It makes sense. However, that is peanuts when buying a house. I don't see how this will make people want to go out and buy a house. To me... the 7,500 previous deal was better.  And to think I was actually complimenting the republicans. Geeze! 
Message 207 of 329
musikklvr
Frequent Contributor

How is that helping the economy, though? That still doesn't make sense to me.

Starting Score: 668
Current Score: 712
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 208 of 329
Anonymous
Not applicable

My income after my business deductions/expenses was $51K ($75K before expenses to run the business).  I also was able to claim a credit for my daughter who is in college, as well as her medical insurance deductions and yet my taxes owed were $8200K.  I'm hardly considered wealthy at an income of $51K, yet this $15K tax credit helps me much more than the $7500K "loan."  This perception that the Republicans are only out to help the rich is just plain false.  $51K is hardly "rich".  I'll gladly take this Republican proposed tax credit.
Message 209 of 329
Anonymous
Not applicable

@musikklvr wrote:
How is that helping the economy, though? That still doesn't make sense to me.

Instead of having to send in $8K to the IRS, I'll take that $8K and buy a new dining room set and have some landscaping done.  I'll be buying products and paying for services that I probably would have put off doing if I didn't get the tax credit.  So instead of that money going to the government, it will be going back into the economy.

Message 210 of 329
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.