cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$7500 Tax Credit- Can I claim it on my 2008 taxes, if I haven't bought a house yet?

tag
john398
Senior Contributor

Re: $7500 Tax Credit- Can I claim it on my 2008 taxes, if I haven't bought a house yet?

It is a little backwards since you really can't use it for your downpayment however I guess it helps with buying new furniture or something like that...I think I better do what someone suggested and file an extension than claim it (closing in about 90 days on a new house) I may make too much in 2009 to qualify lol
Message 11 of 14
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: $7500 Tax Credit- Can I claim it on my 2008 taxes, if I haven't bought a house yet?

@john398 wrote:
It is a little backwards since you really can't use it for your downpayment however I guess it helps with buying new furniture or something like that...I think I better do what someone suggested and file an extension than claim it (closing in about 90 days on a new house) I may make too much in 2009 to qualify lol
No, it is not backwards. It was not designed to be a down payment assistance program. Although many people are borrowing from parents and paying back with tax credit to game the system.

Retired Lender
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thought this article may be interesting for those first-time home buyers this year.  The new democratic stimulus is looking to change the $7500 tax credit to a $7500 tax rebate.  As long as you purchase in 2009 rather than the initial period in 2008,  you won't have to pay back the money to the government.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/17/us/politics/17stimulus.html?_r=2&ref=politics

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you say purchase in 2009 do you mean before the July 1 cut off or anytime in 2009?   The article didn't specify.
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.