Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$7500 Tax Credit

tag
jonben123
Established Member

Re: $7500 Tax Credit

this almost seems to good to be true. My girlfriend and I were looking into buying our first home here in the near future. Due to the fact that we are not married, could we possibly get $7500 each to use towards the purchase, for a total of $15,000? Or is it simply one $7500 credit per/home no matter how many people occupy it?
Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonben123 wrote:
this almost seems to good to be true. My girlfriend and I were looking into buying our first home here in the near future. Due to the fact that we are not married, could we possibly get $7500 each to use towards the purchase, for a total of $15,000? Or is it simply one $7500 credit per/home no matter how many people occupy it?
Unfortunately, as I understand it (I'm not a tax lawyer, so don't quote me for verse), but you only get the tax credit/loan AFTER you've bought a house, not before.

I'll bet it sure would put more people in homes of their own IF it was given prior to actually buying a home!!
Message 12 of 20
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

ONE credit on your taxes. not before purchase for down payment.

still awesome.

Retired Lender
Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It definitely is a good deal, but this isn't a loan you want to default on.

Trying to screw the IRS outta a loan isn't going to go over well for you. So I wouldn't be concerned about whether it's reported to your credit or not (it's not).

Sorry, but I'm just curious: where was it implied that the OP was even considering defrauding or cheating the gubmint in ANY way, shape or form?

Just wondering if my reading-for-comprehension's shot to heck -- 'cause I didn't see anything remotely suspicious or untoward about their post. o_O

I *think* the OP's post was more concerned about whether or not it would **look** like an installment loan on their CRs. That could very well screw up their DtI in re loans, credit cards, etc.

I DON'T think it implied an intention to cheat Unky Sam.
Message Edited by Wonderin on 01-12-2009 08:14 PM

Just saying that whether or not it shows up on your credit shouldn't be that big of a concern.

The only reason why I'd be concerned about something being on my credit is if it's something I think I might default on.

Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It definitely is a good deal, but this isn't a loan you want to default on.

Trying to screw the IRS outta a loan isn't going to go over well for you. So I wouldn't be concerned about whether it's reported to your credit or not (it's not).

Sorry, but I'm just curious: where was it implied that the OP was even considering defrauding or cheating the gubmint in ANY way, shape or form?

Just wondering if my reading-for-comprehension's shot to heck -- 'cause I didn't see anything remotely suspicious or untoward about their post. o_O

I *think* the OP's post was more concerned about whether or not it would **look** like an installment loan on their CRs. That could very well screw up their DtI in re loans, credit cards, etc.

I DON'T think it implied an intention to cheat Unky Sam.
Message Edited by Wonderin on 01-12-2009 08:14 PM

Just saying that whether or not it shows up on your credit shouldn't be that big of a concern.

The only reason why I'd be concerned about something being on my credit is if it's something I think I might default on.

Well, I dunno about you, but if ANYTHING goes on my or DH's CRs (even though I know that the tax credit doesn't work that way), I'd want to know about it. Defaulting or not defaulting doesn't figure into it.

I'm going to assume the OP's thinking the same thing: Is Unky Sam going to be messing with my CRs if I accept this loan?

And FTR, I think the word "loan" is what spooked the OP. The word "loan" sure as heck spooks ME!!!
Message 15 of 20
eddymvp
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
If you are a first time homebuyer and buy between April 2008 and and the end of June 2009, you may be eligible for a tax credit of 10% of the purchase price up to $7500.  There are income limits.  Also the credit must be repaid starting 2 years after you purchased and spread over 15 yearly payments.  More details at IRS site here.

Thanks for the Information rmily. I also on the IRS website that I can filled an ammend if I want to claim this credit. I'm looking to purchase my house between april and May. If I purchase it in April and I filled an ammend, how soon would I get this credit?
Message 16 of 20
WannaHouse
Valued Contributor

Since the filing deadline is April 15th, it may hold it up applying for it at that time of the year.

My best guess would be 2-6 weeks, but that is merely a guess.

Kathy

We are finally homeowners!!

Closed May 5th-30 yr fixed at 5.25%.

Message 17 of 20
LisaJ
Frequent Contributor

I agree with Dallas, 100%!

Listen, you have to look at what you normally get back at the end of the year.  My return has been for a large amount for several years running now, and even if it wasn't, I would take the "credit"/loan.

I intend to put it back into the home I just bought.  It isn't any different for me than getting a Home Depot card or Lowe's and charging $7500--except that this line of credit is INTEREST free.

Everyone has to do what is best for them--for us it is a no-brainer.

ANd with the other new home write offs...our return is looking sweet!

Lisa 

WOW! EQ when I joined myFICO: 657. Ups and downs and a few bumps and bruises, but finally back over 700. Whew!

Message 18 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

How does your tax return have anything to do with the $7500 loan? (And yes, I think "loan" is the accurate way to describe this. Yes it's an interest free loan, but it's still money you have to pay back. Saying it's a tax credit, even though the IRS describes it this way, is misrepresentation in my opinion)

In fact, if you're getting a tax return every year, you're getting ripped off. I set my withholding so that I end up with a small (< $1000) deficit at the end of the year (which has to be paid when filing). If you overwithhold, you're withholding, and paying the IRS with present dollars, and only getting back 1 future dollar for each present dollar withheld, which is a rip-off. You don't want to underwithhold by too much, otherwise they can assess penalties for that. You should be setting your withholding target so you're withholding about $0 - $100 less then what you expect your tax liability to be. That minimizes the interest free loan you're giving to the govt, while leaving you a decent size cushion to avoid getting hit by penalties for underwithholding.

If you're a first time homebuyer, you should be taking the $7500 regardless of your circumstances or whether you need the money. At the minimum you can buy bank CDs / treasuries with a 2 - 17 year maturity and collect the interest on those. (Since repayment of the loan begins 2 years after you receive the credit)

Message 19 of 20
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

How does your tax return have anything to do with the $7500 loan? (And yes, I think "loan" is the accurate way to describe this. Yes it's an interest free loan, but it's still money you have to pay back. Saying it's a tax credit, even though the IRS describes it this way, is misrepresentation in my opinion)

In fact, if you're getting a tax return every year, you're getting ripped off. I set my withholding so that I end up with a small (< $1000) deficit at the end of the year (which has to be paid when filing). If you overwithhold, you're withholding, and paying the IRS with present dollars, and only getting back 1 future dollar for each present dollar withheld, which is a rip-off. You don't want to underwithhold by too much, otherwise they can assess penalties for that. You should be setting your withholding target so you're withholding about $0 - $100 less then what you expect your tax liability to be. That minimizes the interest free loan you're giving to the govt, while leaving you a decent size cushion to avoid getting hit by penalties for underwithholding.

If you're a first time homebuyer, you should be taking the $7500 regardless of your circumstances or whether you need the money. At the minimum you can buy bank CDs / treasuries with a 2 - 17 year maturity and collect the interest on those. (Since repayment of the loan begins 2 years after you receive the credit)

future value is almost non-existent in 1yr
 i think the best way to spend this money is with a financial advisor. put it in the low stock market via a mix of mutuals based on your risk tolerance and watch it GROWWWWWWWWW into a college education for the kids.
i dont need the money. but i would take it.  

Retired Lender
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.