Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8,000 TAX REBATE FORM

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 8,000 TAX REBATE FORM

I keep forgetting all about this.  I finally filled out my forms today because this thread reminded me. Thanks, OP!
Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just filled out forms..Im hoping I did this right.....All i did was fill out top seciton of each form(name, address info, head of household, ssn), made sure I checked the new address section....Also added the reason on 2nd page about why I was amending...also selected that  I wanted the full 8000 credited to me...FIlled out 5404...And put in envelope--I hope I can get it back a soon as others have.
Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Was curious because someone else told me that all you have to have is the purchase agreement to file the tax credit. 
Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Was curious because someone else told me that all you have to have is the purchase agreement to file the tax credit. 

Nope, you have to actually close on the house. Deals fall apart so often, a purchase agreement doesn't mean squat.

Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

That person is wrong.

From http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=206293,00.html

Q. I plan to build a home and occupy it in 2009. Can I claim the first-time homebuyer credit now and use the funds toward the down payment or other ongoing construction costs?

A. No. To qualify for the first time home buyer credit, the residence must be purchased. By statute, a residence which is constructed by the taxpayer is treated as purchased on the date the taxpayer first occupies the residence. (05/06/09)

Other people here are giving you the correct info and you should probably tell the "person" that they could face fraud charges if they submit before they actually own the property.

Message 15 of 21
valley_man0505
Established Contributor

Hmmm.  I am starting to second guess how I handled the rebate.  I already filed taxes and then purchased my home March 30.  So, I decided to file an ammendment so that I could get the rebate this year.

Well, I originally did my taxes using H&R Block's online software.  I called H&R Block to see if it was possible to do the ammendment online.  They said "no" and that I would have to go into a local office.  So, I called the local office and told them I needed to do an ammendment and they set up my appointment.  I went to the appointment thinking it would be real simple--I mean, they already have all my info since I did my original return with H&R Block, right?  WRONG!  No one in that office had any clue how to do an ammendment.  The manager actually argued with me about whether or not I could even claim the rebate on my 2008 return since I purchased it in 2009.

Well, the rep stumbled and fumbled through their software and appeared to just start filling out random forms.  They needed ALL my W-2 info all over again, my student loan interest, child care info, etc. which I was not prepared for since I already filled this all in on my original return.  They had no way to access anything from my original return so they had to set up a computer for me with online access so I could log in to my online return and page through it and relay all the info to the rep to fill in.

By the time it was all done, I was about 5% sure that it was done right.  They ended up re-doing EVERYTHING and then charged me $191, which was broken down as follows:

1040x - Amend Tax Return.....................................83.75

1040 Page 1 - Student Loan Interest Deduction.........6.75

1040 - Page 2 -Recovery Rebate Credit....................7.50

Child Care (With Empolyer-Paid Benefits)...............21.00

Interest and Dividends Interview and Determination.....8.00

Child Tax Credit Worksheet Preparation...................31.75

5405 - First-Time Homebuyer Credit........................12.00

Head of Household Determination of Filing Status.......9.25

Dependency Determination.....................................11.25

Now, keep in mind that I already filed my return and received the refund, so they should not have charged me again for anything other than the ammendment and first time homebuyer stuff.  I protested the bill and they said I would have to call corporate cuz that is what their system was telling them I owed and there was nothing they could do about it.  So, I called corporate, and they told me to call the District Manager.  I called the District Manager repeatedly, but he never returned my calls and eventually his office shut down for the season.  So, I called corporate again.  They said someone would call within 24 hours, but no on did, so I called back.  They said they meant 6 days.  Well, 2 weeks went by and I finally just filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and I am still waiting on the results.

To add to it, they told me it would take 6-8 weeks to receive my refund (and that's if they actually did it right).  It has now been 9 weeks, so i called the IRS and spent 45 minutes on hold to hear that ammendments actually take 12-18 weeks to process and that H&R was wrong to tell me 6-8.  The IRS said they saw no sign of it in their system and once it did finally show up in the system, it would STILL take another 4 weeks MINIMUM before I would ever see the check in the mail.

In the meantime, I have been planning to trade in my current truck the day I got that rebate check since I have had a bad feeling about it.  Sure enough, last week it broke down and required $1000 in repairs (it is only worth about $2750).  If I would have gotten my rebate check sooner, I would have had that truck gone before that ever happened.

AAGGHHH!!

Sorry for the very long rant--I had to vent somewhere.

Message 16 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Valley_Man0505:

Not sure what they did to you, but IRS.gov flat out says that you can only do an Amended Tax Return via US Mail, no electronic changes will be accepted....

Even if they did do anything with all the work they charged you for it won't process because you already filed your taxes for the year.

The only way to change your taxes that you already filed is via US Mail with the 1040X and 5405.

Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Valley, aren't you from Modesto?

My sister and i both use H&R block, i amended my return last year because i recieved a 1099 from my school that i completely forgot about. i went to the corporate office to have it amended and it literally took 2 HOURS because the person helping me had no clue what they were doing. i almost walked out twice and probably should have. Never again i tell you!

i think the info here on how to amend your taxes and the forms you need is far more info than you will ever get from H&R blocks corporate office. which is sad because i've been doing my taxes online with them for 8 years now with really no issues!

Message 18 of 21
valley_man0505
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Valley_Man0505:

Not sure what they did to you, but IRS.gov flat out says that you can only do an Amended Tax Return via US Mail, no electronic changes will be accepted....

Even if they did do anything with all the work they charged you for it won't process because you already filed your taxes for the year.

The only way to change your taxes that you already filed is via US Mail with the 1040X and 5405.

It was not electronic.  My original return was filed electronically, but, with the ammendment, after filling out every form known to mankind, H&R Block finally left me with a printout of the forms I actually needed, which I put in the mail the next day.
Message 19 of 21
valley_man0505
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Valley, aren't you from Modesto?

My sister and i both use H&R block, i amended my return last year because i recieved a 1099 from my school that i completely forgot about. i went to the corporate office to have it amended and it literally took 2 HOURS because the person helping me had no clue what they were doing. i almost walked out twice and probably should have. Never again i tell you!

i think the info here on how to amend your taxes and the forms you need is far more info than you will ever get from H&R blocks corporate office. which is sad because i've been doing my taxes online with them for 8 years now with really no issues!

No, I'm not from Modesto-I am from Wisconsin.  Sounds like this is a trend with H&R Blcok--mine actually took a little over 2 hours for them to complete as well.

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.