cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$8000 & $6500 Homebuyers tax credit NIGHTMARE!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: $8000 & $6500 Homebuyers tax credit NIGHTMARE!!

A Jackson Hewitt Rep called for us today and explained the whole situation to the IRS, including that the house is in MY name only.. They told her that it didn't matter that we still didn't qualify for either.

We are going to a CPA in the next few days to get a second look at it all.

Knowing that $14,500 was at our fingertips and now not getting a DIME of it is really a sickening feeling.

Message 11 of 15
p-
Valued Contributor

@IOBA wrote:

Then you qualify for the first time buyer credit.  Smiley Happy     You should becuase the house loan is in YOUR name.

If unsure, you can always call the IRS and ask them if you qualify for that credit since it IS your first home and the mortgage is ONLY in your name.   When you file taxes, make sure your name appears first on the forms.

Sorry, I'm afraid they don't.  Here is the response from my tax guy when I asked the same question and a link to an IRS article clarifying the rule.

I’m afraid not (sorry). Either spouse’s history destroys the credit for the other. Here is a discussion from the IRS website and a link to it as well (http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=206293,00.html):

Q. I am a long-time resident and current homeowner and my spouse is a first-time homebuyer (has had no ownership interest in a principal residence during the three-year period ending on the date of purchase of a new principal residence) and we purchased a new principal residence. Can we qualify for either the first-time homebuyer credit or the long-time resident homebuyer credit if we purchase a new principal residence?

A. No. Both you and your spouse must be first-time homebuyers in order to qualify for the first-time homebuyer tax credit. Since you had an ownership interest in a principal residence during the three-year period ending on the date of purchase, neither you nor your spouse qualifies for the credit. Similarly, both you and your spouse must be long-time homeowners of the same previous principal residence in order to qualify for the long-time resident homebuyer credit. Since your spouse is not a long-time homeowner of your current principal residence, neither of you qualify for the credit. (12/14/09)

When I filed that year, the IRS had not yet published the clarification articles, and I like many others claimed the credit.  My tax guy acted in good faith in putting me in for it, but I ended up with a rejected return when the IRS denied the credit.  For something this big, you should really do your homework.  Pay a couple hundred to an expert and show them these articles...  Find out if there is a way around it.  Who knows, maybe if you file seperate  you can slip it by, but in a few years when you're audited you'll owe the IRS a staggering amount.

I feel your pain - We lost that, plus an 8k state credit that we would have got because the house we purchased was a new home, except the guy that short sold it claimed to have lived in it for the tax protections, even though he couldn't possibly have - it was not finished!  So we lost out on that credit too.  Makes me sick to my stomach just thinking about it.

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Isn't it crazy how they let dishonest people get away with crap like that and then persecute the regular Joe who does the right thing. Yes I will be spending the extra $ for a CPA, he is reviewing it all as we speak. I will post the outcome when I know
Message 13 of 15
p-
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Isn't it crazy how they let dishonest people get away with crap like that and then persecute the regular Joe who does the right thing. Yes I will be spending the extra $ for a CPA, he is reviewing it all as we speak. I will post the outcome when I know

Good luck - If you find a workaround, please PM m and let me know.  That would be worth filing an amended return.

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I sure will. I really believe that this one was set up for people who foreclosed. Who sells a house, rents for 36 months, then buys a house again once considered a first timer again? NOBODY, unless you have a waiting period after a Short Sale or Foreclosure of around typically 36 months!!!
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.