Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$8000 tax credit eligibility question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

$8000 tax credit eligibility question

My husband has owned a home in the past three years.  I have not owned a home in the past three years, and I am getting a mortgage this year in my name only.   Am I eligible for the $8000 tax credit? 
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
WannaHouse
Valued Contributor

Re: $8000 tax credit eligibility question

Yes, you should.

Kathy

We are finally homeowners!!

Closed May 5th-30 yr fixed at 5.25%.

Message 2 of 8
bmagnant
Valued Member

From the IRS site...

"For purposes of the credit, you are considered to be a first-time homebuyer if you, and your spouse if you are married, did not own any other main home during the three-year period ending on the date of purchase."

From the crediit form itself ...

" You (and your spouse if married) did not own any other main home during the 3-year period ending on the date of purchase."

It doesn't seem to care if he is on the loan or not, just whether he owned a home. From this I would say no. But ask a tax pro, I don't even play one on TV.

Message 3 of 8
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

I don't think you are.  IRS has a FAQ section on this I think.  May want to check there and also call them if you are unsure.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The IRS site sayd that you can't have owned a "main home" for three years.  The home my husband owned was a rental.  I don't know their definition of main home.  I am just going to have to call them....
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

According to the IRS...

PRINCIPAL RESIDENCE.
In the case of a taxpayer using more than one property as a residence, whether property is used by the taxpayer as the taxpayer’s principal residence depends upon all the facts and circumstances.

If a taxpayer alternates between 2 properties, using each as a residence for successive periods of time, the property that the taxpayer uses a majority of the time during the year ordinarily will be considered the taxpayer’s principal residence.

In addition to the taxpayer’s use of the property, relevant factors in determining a taxpayer’s principal residence, include, but are not limited to:

(i) The taxpayer’s place of employment;
(ii) The principal place of abode of the taxpayer’s family members;
(iii) The address listed on the taxpayer’s federal and state tax returns, driver’s license, automobile registration, and voter registration card;
(iv) The taxpayer’s mailing address for bills and correspondence;
(v) The location of the taxpayer’s banks; and
(vi) The location of religious organizations and recreational clubs with which the taxpayer is affiliated.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

wow, thanks!  Then maybe I will qualify for the credit after all, we did not resdie at the rental property at all.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The credit specifially allows for rental and vacation property.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.