cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A little hope for those of you still struggling..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

A little hope for those of you still struggling..

After almost 4 months, we finally closed on 8/15/12. We have been though MANY bumps in the road. If we did it, any of you can.

Our journey started in 2009. We had a sucky realtor & were trying to find a house before I gave birth. My husband was in school & the bank would not count his income b/c he was considered part time at work even though he worked 50hrs a week. We made an offer on a house (being sold by our realtors co-worker), got a super bad counter offer & we walked away. Then I gave birth & couldn't qualify until I went back to work.

We postponed the search for a year. At this point my husband started a new job where he worked a mandatory 90 hours a week & was making about 3x as much as I was. I immediately resigned from my job & we started house house hunting again. The bank then told us in order to count his overtime he'd have to be there for 2 years. We stopped searching for another year until somebody told us to try another lender.

We searched lender after lender & nobody could comprehend his work schedule. They wouldn't even listen to us explain it. Very frustrating but helped us weed out the incompetent loan officers.

We finally found wells fargo. Our LO was inexperienced & over worked. She was horrible about responding to us, but she gave us a shot & wanted to help us & that's what mattered.

By this time business was booming in our small town so housing prices were sky rocketing & the houses were flying off the market the same day they were listed. You had no time to think about anything.

We found a little fixer upper (we didn't want to push our luck b/c she was unsure of how the underwriter would view our income) & entered into contract. The deal fell through b/c the sellers wouldn't help with any repairs or even have the furnace serviced at least for us. We walked, but in reality I think the realtors messed the deal up for us as we had met the sellers & they seemed like great people.

After that we found a for sale by owner, made a verbal offer, went back & forth with this guy while he jerked us around for a while & nothing ended up coming of it.

Finally my husband reached the two year mark at his employer & wells fargo gave us our pre-approval (more like a pre-qual) for almost $100k more than what we had been approved for. It was time to start shopping! Then we found out my husband was going to be laid off!!

He immediately found another job, same field better pay but our pre-approval obviously plummeted. And then what do you know I found a house, THE house, the day after he started his job.

With the market being like it is here, I had to jump on it. I got him to agree to it via text message pics, made my (his) offer & we were under contract on 4/30/12 with technically no pre-approval since he started a new job.

We had to then wait for 2 pay stubs to come in. Which took about 4 weeks. So we pushed back closing to the end of june. Finally went to underwriting & within 10 days we had our approval. Easy right? Not so fast. My husband then got notified that the new job was laying him off. Since we had to wait for the pay checks, the title company took their good old time getting our documents ready, by the time we were ready for the employment verification, he was laid off, so the loan was dead in the water.

At the same time my husband's previous employer offered him his old position back which he took but it wasn't starting for a few weeks. We had to talk the sellers into extending the contract, which we did, until 8/15. Then we had to again wait for 2 paychecks (stupid).

My husband then went back to work but on a shortened work week schedule for 2 weeks!!! (we needed FULL paychecks)

Our rate lock was set to expire on 7/31, we had to pay a $1300 return to float fee but then wells fargo did a free 10 day extension. Our loan officer didn't cash the check & submitted our file to underwriting to at least get it started.

A few days later, 2 days after our rate lock expired, we got the clear to close. The underwriter approved us with only 1 paycheck that wasn't even the full amount. & to top it off our LO paid a fee to extend our rate & we got the check back.

So sorry for the long, long story (try living it!), but like I said, if we can do it, so can you & it will all work out in the end!!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
indecison
Regular Contributor

Re: A little hope for those of you still struggling..

Wow that is a heck of a story! Im glad it all worked out for you!! Congrats to you and your husband!

Message 2 of 8
nc
Contributor

BIG Congrats for BIG Success!!

Current Score: EQ: 786 (08/23/2012), EX: 802 (08/23/2012), TU: 774 (08/23/2012),

Goal Score: 800+ FICO across the board
Message 3 of 8
ceva02
New Contributor

What an endevour, but you succeeded. Congrats!

Starting Score: EQ 613
Current Score: EQ 632 TU 647
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 8
MissKay
Contributor

Wow, my head is spinning from that story. You're a reminder to not give up. Thanks and congrats

Starting Score: 595 2/5/12
Current Score: 650 midscore lender pull 7/24/12
Goal Score: 640

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 8
courtney091082
Regular Contributor

EXCELLENT!!! Sounds like you earned that house, thanks for the story gives us all hope let's us know to not back down and to push through when you start to lose hope!!

9/1/2012 ...DRUMROLL .... EQ .. 776!!

I'm FINALLY a homeowner .. 10/24/12!!!!

My Cards ~~~GARDENING~~~ BNSF CU ($1000) BOA ($2500) Amazon / GE ($900) AMEX BCE ($2500) Chase Freedom ($3000) US Bank Cash + (7500)
Message 6 of 8
Chbraswell
Regular Contributor

after all your trials and tribulations you finally did it! I am soo thrilled for you guys!

Beginning:Explus 630 eq 573 tu 593
Current: EXplus:677 Eq 642 TU 727
Goal: Explus 700 eq 700 tu 800

Merrick: 1550 Capital One:1150 Barclay: 2000 Walmart: 300 Chase Freedom: 500
Message 7 of 8
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Inspiring story.   Good luck to you and your family!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.