cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A little nervous--Will I qualify for a mortgage?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: A little nervous--Will I qualify for a mortgage?

On a $100,000 home annual taxes are $1,465. Homeowners Insurance quote on a potential home came in at $4,287/Year.

Message 11 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Considering your new numbers, you can't afford a house.  Not even close.  With your student loans factored in, and assuming you can access all of the $8,500 you have available (cash and 401k) for a downpayment, every calculator I've put you through qualifies you for only $8,500.00 to $10,000.00.  With those insurance and tax numbers you estimated, your DTIR is way too high at nearly 50%.  As a general guideline, your monthly mortgage payment, including principal, interest, real estate taxes and homeowners insurance, should not exceed 28 percent of your gross monthly income; on top of all that you'll have extra utilities such as electric, water, sewer, trash pickup, and gas.  I'm sorry, but I don't see any chance of you qualifying for a mortage at this time.  Your best course of action is to remove as much recurring debt payments as possible (and I would not suggest deferring loans - remember, that's temporary, but a mortgage is 30+ years), and looking for ways to increase your monthly income.

Message 12 of 26
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

On a $100,000 home annual taxes are $1,465. Homeowners Insurance quote on a potential home came in at $4,287/Year.

Wow, low taxes and extremely high homeowners insurance.  The rate you quote of $357 per month rivals our rates here in Florida.

Is it because of the particular structure? Do you have a way to mitigate this expense?

Message 13 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

That seems awfully steep for homeowners insurance. I'd still try another lender. 

Message 14 of 26
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Check this link. It is about HOI in your area and gives average HOI costs for various insurance companies - scroll to the bottom of the page. The insurance costs were much lower than in your post.  Is it possible that the particular home for which you requested a quote has some issue that would make the HOI high? Like many previous claims or something else?

https://www.ok.gov/oid/Consumers/Insurance_Basics/Home.html

I agree with dpeezy - check another lender. Not a bank, they are too conservative.

Message 15 of 26
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Child care is factored into DTI calculation? I didn't realize that.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 16 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

It makes sense - it IS a recurring monthly committment.  It's also usually administered by a court, and will be reported on your credit report.

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/surprise-weird-items-impact-credit-report-1282.php

@Anonymous.com wrote:

Child support

In accordance with a 2003 amendment to the Fair Credit Reporting Act, child support payments are treated like any other money owed -- both current and delinquent payments are shared with credit bureaus and noted on a credit report. However, the listing of those payments (or the lack thereof) on a credit report will not factor into the parent's FICO credit score. As outlined on its website, Fair Isaac does not consider items reported as "child/family support obligations" in calculation of the credit score.  

Message 17 of 26
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Child care on credit report and mandated by the courts? Ok, I can see the court mandate if it's part of a divorce or custody situation. What if the child will be going to pre-k next school year at the neighborhood school?

That brings me to another question: what if your child is school age and you pay after school care...is that factored in also?

I never knew child care had to be factored in. Do you have to show proof of enrollment and monthly payment amount?
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 18 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry--Yes! There is something new to factor in. I didn't realize that they counted childcare in the DTIR. So, Add in $700/month. He also added in the student loans, even though they are in deferment. 

Child care or child support? Important distinction here. 

Message 19 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@frugalQ wrote:
Child care on credit report and mandated by the courts? Ok, I can see the court mandate if it's part of a divorce or custody situation. What if the child will be going to pre-k next school year at the neighborhood school?

That brings me to another question: what if your child is school age and you pay after school care...is that factored in also?

I never knew child care had to be factored in. Do you have to show proof of enrollment and monthly payment amount?

Child care is not typically factored. It is either child support or a lender overlay. 

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.