Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About to app for Home Loan...questions

tag
turninganewleaf
Regular Contributor

About to app for Home Loan...questions

Hello,

I have put a contract on a home...now I'm calling around to get the best interest rate...haven't authorized anyone to pull my credit "YET".  Wanting to see what my best interest rate offers are, then allow a credit pull.

How many lenders should I allow to pull my credit and within what time frame to have less impact on my credit reports for inquiries?

The purchase price of the home is $160,000 but I'll be financing $150,000 (down payment gift from my wonderful parents who want to see me in a home rather than paying rent - which I've done for 6 years).

Yearly gross salary, $36,300, net $2817/month (plus I have my own business - supplemental income I'm not including unless I have to)
Monthly debt $311.00
Mid-FICO score as of 1/4/08 - 652
Baddies:  One paid charge-off (paid off October 2007) and one account with several lates (most recent was 9 months ago)

FICO 8/5/10; TU 724, EQ 702
FICO 6/9/09: TU 669, EQ 658, EX ???
FICO 7/20/07: TU 540; EQ 595, EX 544
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
maxq
Regular Contributor

Re: About to app for Home Loan...questions

if you have signed that contract you might be required to get an approval within a certain amount of time, example some places require it done within 72 hours of signing a contract....just do your homework....

i think you should be fine but i'm no expert here...your hard inq should only drop your score 1 point, maybe 2 or 3 tops, at least that is what i've been told by several people...that score should recover within 90 days and your buying a house so it's the most important purchase you could make anyway...it's not like your going to need that score to get into more debt over the next several months....

you already know your scores so you have that in your pocket going to any lender, just let them know you know your score and want to know the rate you could get on the amount of your home and see what the rate is, do your comparisons and then go with the best one at first...i would say start with your local bank if your in good standings, i think the local bank you have your account(s) with, ie checking, savings, etc, are more likely to give you a loan if they know they have your business in other accounts...you could certainly use the bigger, well knowns of the lending business to go to for your mortgage...all up to you....but you know what you have going in, you did your homework so you at least know if someone is going to pull something over on you....lol..if they come back and say, your score is 550 and your not going to get a very good rate then you know they are lying most likely....move on....

i would say just use 1 lender at first and then maybe 1 or 2 more, i would do it all around the same time...that way it's not as big of a deal if one of them see that company A did a hard inq on your CR, you can at least say it is for the mtg and you are trying to get the best rate possible....again, not going to hit your score as bad as you think....
Goal of 825+ Gardening since 05/05/2017
Message 2 of 3
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: About to app for Home Loan...questions

You could get hypothetical interest rate quotes based on your score, income, debts, etc... but since your score isn't perfect, you have some blemishes on credit within the last 12 months, and your debt to income ratio is a bit on the high side (around 48%), no one can guarantee you an approval until they actually run your numbers through automated underwriting.  Definitely want to get hopping on that if you haven't already done so... being in contract on a home without mortgage financing lined up can be pretty stressful.
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.