Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About to apply for mortgage...

tag
KeithW
Frequent Contributor

About to apply for mortgage...

We are going to be seeking a 200K mortgage for a modular home, which will be installed on a full basement.

We own 4 acres to build on, and we have a 10K available for a down payment. My wife has the lowest credit scores, her middle number is 639. Our income is 74K a year and our only debt is $700/mo in auto loans and 15K in CC debt.

We also have 15K in our emergency fund, that would only be used in a real emergency, ie loss of job or something equally serious.

Are we likely to get approved? We are eligible for a USDA loan according to a realtor I talked to.

EQ671 TU673 EX662
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Lemmus
Established Contributor

Re: About to apply for mortgage...

...as long as its a "modular" home and not a "manufactured" home, USDA will work fine assuming the 4 acres is in a USDA eligible area ...they just expanded a lot of the ineligible areas map near urban/suburban areas that were eligible only a couple months ago ...your income should fall within the USDA limits but check the USDA site just to be sure.

...I'd talk to a couple of mortgage brokers who specialize in USDA loans rather than rely on anything a realtor tells you about qualifying for any kind of loan ...ask your realtor to recommend a couple to you, they should know which local ones to avoid (all talk and no walk) ...stay away from the big banks unless you have a strong relationship with one already in place

...your auto loans are high for your income and your cc utilization ratio is close to 50% of your CLs ...if that is spread out over several of your cards, your DTIR is likely going to be high ...with a 639 mid score (assuming that is a FICO 4 score, not an 8) you may have problems qualifying for 200K+ ...but I can't say without knowing more and a decent LO will give you a much better idea with your actual CRs and bank statements in hand ...you may actually be better off going the FHA route having the dp you have available ...you'll find a lot more lenders willing to do FHA, including local CUs ...but again, talk to a couple different LOs and have them run some estimates for you.

...that 639 mid score is right on the edge where you can get a decent break in your mortgage rate ...you might want to look over at the credit repair forum for some ideas on how to improve it quickly ...using some of your funds to get your CC utilization ratios down might be the best way to do that 

...hth 

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Last HP: 11/04/15 | myFico 3B Jun 10 '15:FICO8 EQ - 752 | TU - 763 | EX - 750
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great info Lemmus!!  We knew nothing when we applied for our mtg 3 yrs ago.  We gave them everything they asked for & went from there.  They told us what we needed to do to get the best rates & we were prepared as far as having no car payment or cc bills at the time.  Just didn't want anything to go wrong.  They might make you pay a couple of things off or get a cheaper home.  They're a little picky with the debt to income ratios when your score is lower. 

Message 3 of 8
KeithW
Frequent Contributor

Well, I am hoping my wifes score will jump up. She paid her utilization down from 60% to 1% in the past two weeks.

EQ671 TU673 EX662
Message 4 of 8
Lemmus
Established Contributor

@KeithW wrote:

Well, I am hoping my wifes score will jump up. She paid her utilization down from 60% to 1% in the past two weeks.

Smiley Happy ...ought to do the trick, though it can take them forever and a day to update all 3 CRAs ...good luck!

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Last HP: 11/04/15 | myFico 3B Jun 10 '15:FICO8 EQ - 752 | TU - 763 | EX - 750
Message 5 of 8
KeithW
Frequent Contributor

Tell me about it. I paid of a small loan to Prosper in December, and it still shows the balance I had in November. No update since then.

EQ671 TU673 EX662
Message 6 of 8
Movin_on_up
New Contributor

@KeithW wrote:

We also have 15K in our emergency fund, that would only be used in a real emergency, ie loss of job or something equally serious.

Nice work on the emergency fund!

Starting score: EQ FICO 8 702 (1/1/2012)
Current scores: EQ FICO 8: 763 / TU FICO 8: 760 / EX FICO 8: 765

Wallet: Chase Freedom 12K - Discover More 12K - Walmart 1K - Capital One MC 1K
Message 7 of 8
KeithW
Frequent Contributor

I know many would probably say that we should use that to pay our CC debt, but I just feel safer having that as a fallback.

EQ671 TU673 EX662
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.