cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About to get married but he might foreclose

tag
ksugator

About to get married but he might foreclose

My fiance has been fighting a foreclosure for a year now. He was just served with court papers again as we try to find a way. We also just found out that I am 3 months pregnant. Our parents would like us to marry before the baby comes. If we marry now and he forecloses in a month or two, does the foreclosure go on my credit too?  Currently we have 1 joint bank account and that is all.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Regular Contributor

Re: About to get married but he might foreclose

Is your name on the mortgage? If not then no it will not go on your credit.
Message 2 of 7
ksugator

No my name is not on the mortgage but I was told that when we married, it automatically became my debt. Just checking to see if this is true.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

What state do you live in?
Message 4 of 7
ksugator

We live in Florida.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

it was debt only in his name that was obtained before the marriage.  therefore, i don't believe it will effect your credit even if you live in a community property state. i also live in a comm property state, California, and got married 19 months ago.  My husband had some bad debt coming into the marriage. it didn't effect my credit directly.  however, what it did effect was our ability to get credit during our marriage.  It hasn't stopped us from doing anything, but it has been a huge pain.  I've had to get most credit under my name and therefore my credit score has dropped. 
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Stress of foreclosure and pregnancy and marriage do not mix well.

Change your last name to his, give the baby his last name.

Work together to heal the financial issues you guys are facing first.

Have a wonderful wedding and reception when it is right for you two, not for your parents.

Have a beautiful future.

(From a grandfather with bad credit, with a lovely fiance' that has good credit that I don't want to hurt her financially, so I wait and work on finances and credit)

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.