cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account aged off and dropped mortgage score a lot!

tag
the_heat_love
Established Member

Account aged off and dropped mortgage score a lot!

An old account aged off and dropped my FICO 8 12 points, pulled a report and it dropped my mortgage score 28 points!!! How is this possible? Nothing else has changed, utilization is great, no collections, what gives? I'm in the middle of the mortgage process, my middle score didn't drop but will this one dropping so much affect my approval?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Account aged off and dropped mortgage score a lot!

If your mortgage scores are unaffected, then you have nothing to worry about in terms of your loan application and associated scores. The old account more than likely bolstered your AAoA. All that age are now gone and that is what has hurt your scores, assuming that the account was in good standing.

Message 2 of 10
the_heat_love
Established Member

It did drop one of my mortgage scores 28 points... My middle score is unaffected so far but the account hasn't aged off of it yet... It should this month though. We aren't scheduled to close until the end of the month.
Message 3 of 10
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

@the_heat_love wrote:
It did drop one of my mortgage scores 28 points... My middle score is unaffected so far but the account hasn't aged off of it yet... It should this month though. We aren't scheduled to close until the end of the month.

Ugh that's not good.  What are your scores now?  

If you're dropping from 800 to 770, it might not make much difference (most people qualify for the best rates with a 750+ scores).  However, if it drops you from 700 to a 670, that could be a big problem, especially with the PMI rate (but also the interest rate on the loan).

I would talk to your LO right away.  Knowledge is power and he/she may be able to help you avoid disaster.  Better they know now than have something pop up 2 days before the closing.

Anyway you can move up the close?

Message 4 of 10
the_heat_love
Established Member

Can't move up closing, it is a new build! I'm guessing I was rebucketed? It is still showing my account age the same.I can't believe an old account falling off could affect my mortgage score so much Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

That totally sucks for you. Hopefully your home is completed on time and the change in scores doesn't affect you negatively. Has your LO indicated that your credit will be pulled again this month?

Message 6 of 10
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

You shouldn't worry.

According to your post, your middle score didn't change - it is still your mid score of the 3, right? 

If so, then you have nothing to worry about as there are no changes to your profile as far as the lender is concerned.

When the lender pulls your credit at the end, and not all of them do so, they are looking to make sure there is no additional credit activity by you such as adding TL's and debt for new cc's or furniture or anything else. 

That is not what happened in your case so don't worry about it. 

Message 7 of 10
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

You shouldn't worry.

According to your post, your middle score didn't change - it is still your mid score of the 3, right? 

If so, then you have nothing to worry about as there are no changes to your profile as far as the lender is concerned.

When the lender pulls your credit at the end, and not all of them do so, they are looking to make sure there is no additional credit activity by you such as adding TL's and debt for new cc's or furniture or anything else. 

That is not what happened in your case so don't worry about it. 

I had posted a question about score changes a couple of weeks ago and was told lenders can change terms of a loan (i.e. change rate) if a score went down below one of the thresholds (say 701 to 698 thus going below the 700 threshold).  Based on your post, are you saying this would not be the case?

Message 8 of 10
the_heat_love
Established Member

Well lender said a soft pull will happen 10 days prior to closing, the middle score was not affected. Also this lender lends to scores as low as 580 which we are well above, even with this sudden drop.

If the lender does a soft pull will the underwriter do another as well? This is a mortgage banker with in house underwriting. We got approval from underwriter just with a condition of a LOE for inquiries.
Message 9 of 10
the_heat_love
Established Member

We also rate locked until July 7th.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.