Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accurate Mortgage Calculator?

tag
FicoPower
Regular Contributor

Accurate Mortgage Calculator?

I have never owned a home and I like the mortgage calculator here, however when I view some home listings for $100,000 for example (since in Nashville a $100,000 home is like a $250,000 home anywhere else) and sometimes the realtor says "yours for only $700 per month!" when the calculator here says $534 per month based on my credit score.  So which is correct and how come the mortgage calculator isn't more accurate?  I assume that the calc is leaving out other important factors that are added into the final price?  That is like when I buy a new car they never include the tax, paper work, and  fees to release the car off of the lot.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Re: Accurate Mortgage Calculator?

Your realtor is probably giving you an estimate of the total payment.  The calculators typically only give you principal and interest, sometimes PMI also, but the realtor is probably giving you an estimated PITI payment.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 2 of 6
FicoPower
Regular Contributor

So calcs are not reliable?
Message 3 of 6
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

I have not seen the calculator on this site.  The one I use only gives me the P&I payment.  I prefer that because I am looking at properties both inside and outside the city limit along with short sales.  The calculators can't take into consideration the tax variables.  I find it easiest to use the calcs for P&I and then look the properties tax value up on the county govts website.  This way I have the most accurate payment.  Insurance I just estimate based on my experience.  You could always call your local agent to get an estimate on how insurance runs in your area.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 4 of 6
FicoPower
Regular Contributor

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

This one is spot on.....If you know the loan amount, the taxes and the estimated annual insurance it will be spot on.

It matches my actual mortgage exactly once I add the monthly PMI amount to the payment.

http://www.realestateabc.com/calculators/PITI.htm

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.