Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adjusting credit cards for loan approval

tag
MrCrabs
Regular Contributor

Adjusting credit cards for loan approval

Still dealing with quicken loans credit team to get my scores up, currently sitting at 620 myfico EQ , have one collection I PFD and will leave me with just 1 collection (medical) left on my reports, hoping to gain some points there as well. But I guess they use computer program telling me what I should do, and they're suggesting to have 2 cards at 10% utilization, but I thought it was better to have all cards but one at 0% and one card at 1-9% am I off on this or are they giving bad advice? I've heard their credit team isn't the most knowledgeable and I know they kept asking me open another card(have 3 currently) until I just told them flat no, that's not an option so quit asking and they finally let it go. Anyway should I have 2 cards at 10% or one card between 1-9% and rest at zero for max point gains?
Capital One Platinum | $1,500Discover IT | $1,800Victoria's Secret Angel VIP | $500Citi Secured | $200
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
andemalia
Contributor

Re: Adjusting credit cards for loan approval

You are right. Pay down all to 0 but one at under 9%, preferably under 5%. 3 cards is plenty plus you don't need to waste an inquiry (point drop) or decrease your AAoA which would also result in a point drop. Don't listen to them. You know better. Unless you are ready to suffer a temporary point drop for a longer term point gain. The only way additional cards can help you is in your utilization. Maybe you can request CLI if you have a good history with the CC you already have but with most CC companies it results into a hard pull (point drop). So the game is yours to play. If you need the most points now in the short term, I would stick to 0 balances on everythig but one card under 9%.

01/15 EQ 663 TU 669 EX 674 09/14 EQ 653 TU 635 EX 651
10/13 EQ 579 TU 580 EX 598
BoA 1.5k I Cap1Sec 0.6k I Cap1 QS 6k I Synchrony 1k I Barclays 1k
- Goals - Refi car loan 24% to 15% 12/13
Buy a home spring 2015: in progress; Pay off car loan spring 2016 balance $6200
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.