Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on 1st Mortgage

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice on 1st Mortgage

I have read so many helpful responses on this forum, I figured I would throw my own situation out there. My partner and I would like to buy our first home this spring. We have been waiting for a long time for our credit to clear up and I finally feel like we are in an ok position. We live in Rhode Island and are looking for a home around 200k, with 220k being our absolute maximum. I gross $42,000/year and she grosses $32,000/year. We have both been with our employers for a number of years. My scores are TU: 747, EQ: 720, EX 714 with no lates. Her scores range from 630-650 (I don't have them in front of me). She has a number of lates, charge-offs and a car repossession from 7 years ago. Most of her problems have fallen off but a few will remain until March. For the past 7 years she has had credit cards and student loans, all paid on time. At the time we apply for the loan we will have a $270 car payment and about $900 in student loan payments each month. Also we will only have about $2,000 or $3,000 saved and I have $25,000 in a 403(b). So, are we in the ok position that I am hoping for? I know there are lots of mortgage programs out there such as FHA and the RI state program that we may qualify for. Thanks so much for reading!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Advice on 1st Mortgage

The car repo or charge-off wouldn't have to be paid for a Fannie Mae conforming loan program... they could be required to be paid for FHA.  For conforming your debt ratio should qualify because you have quite a bit of funds in the 403b which is used as a compensating factor.  For FHA the debt ratio might be too high for the $220k and is still borderline for the $200k sales price.  I'm not familiar with the state RI program, but usually state sponsored programs are more stringent on credit requirements than conforming.. but not as stringent as FHA.
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shane,

Thanks so much for your help.  It is highly probable that the charge-off and repo will be gone from the credit report by the time we actually apply.  I guess we'll see!
Message 3 of 4
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

You are welcome!
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.