Valued Contributor
John060675

Advice on Getting a Mortgage

Hi all,

I am looking to buy my first house in just over a year.  Here is my information:

EQ:  610
TU:  640
EX:  648

All of my accounts are current, but I have a couple old items that "charge off's" (7 years old and 4 years old) , one colleciton item that will drop off in January 2008 on EQ, and one 60 day late on all 3 agencies from 7 months ago.  I have sent GW letters to beg for mercy with all of these items, and I will continue to send them until they are hopefully lifted. 

I currently have 2 revolving accounts and 1 car loan.  The credit card accounts have 60% utilization reported, but this will be 0% by next month.

My question is whether I should open 1 or 2 more credit card accounts, and not use them.  I have read some threads that stated that it helps to have 3 or 4 credit cards open to bump up a score.  Also, since I am looking in over one year I believe the "new" credit staus will be lifted on these new accounts.

Any other information or tips would help.  I really need to work hard to get my scores over 720. Is this realistic, or am I just wishfully thinking?

Starting Score: 583 EQ, 612 EX, 569 TU
Current Score: 658 EQ, 648 EX, 618 TU
Goal Score: 720 EQ, 720 EX, 720 TU

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Moderator Emeritus
Tuscani

Re: Advice on Getting a Mortgage

You are close.. Getting your util at 0% should skyrocket your scores. I wouldn't open any new accounts, instead keep focusing on getting the baddies removed.
Regular Contributor
VLGaffEsq

I think your idea and goal are actually quite realistic!  While you want to keep those inquiries to a bare minimum (especially just before going for a mortgage or refi), I think you would be well advised to apply for at least 2 more credit cards and possibly even a long term installment loan to beef up your credit report, and thereby raising your FICO scores. (CRS's and lenders like to see a "mixture" of credit).  Also, in anticipation of obtaining a mortgage down the road, I would look into membership of a credit union so you can cultivate a business relationship.  Credit unions tend to have lower interest rates for their members...  Bottom line, I would shoot for FICO scores of 750, and when it comes time to get a mortgage, YOU will be sitting in the catbird seat.
Valued Member
OBXFrank

I'm not an expert, but when I was going through the process, I was told do NOT open any new accounts.  Even with no balance, it brings down the average age of accounts.  I had two cc's (Visa/MC) and was told two is a good number.  I will say that they liked seeing a good balance of different types of credit(installment, revolving, etc), which it sounds like you have. 

Then again, if you're a year away from starting the process, it may be enough time will pass between now and then that they aren't considered new, but I was also told having accounts in good standing for 3 years or more is ideal.

Hope it helps...
Outer Banks Frank

"Success is nothing but luck...Just ask any failure!
Regular Contributor
OneMortgageGuy

100% RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tuscani wrote:
You are close.. Getting your util at 0% should skyrocket your scores. I wouldn't open any new accounts, instead keep focusing on getting the baddies removed.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}