Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on Mortgage Broker's Negligence

tag
jvgray2005
Established Member

Advice on Mortgage Broker's Negligence

Good Morning All,

I have a situation that I could use some advice on handling.  Yesterday I received a call from my mortgage broker stating that I received a conditional approval and underwriting requested that all dispute remarks to be removed, a letter of explanation  of why I didn't include child support payment received since I have dependents  or divorce decree in my application(which is crazy since I never applied for such and never been married), and a LOE for old derogatory medical collection accts that are paid and closed.  My mortgage broker stated that she would email me a dispute letter to sign to have the remarks removed from the credit bureaus so she can perform a rapid rescore along with a copy of my trimerge credit report showing where all the dispute marks were made. 

For a little background, the mortgage broker locked my in for a 3.75% rate on a FHA loan through Premier NationWide Wholesales with a middle score of 658.  So far, the inspection has been performed and the appraisal will be scheduled for the end of the week.  My mortgage broker called me again and stated that she questioned underwriting about the conditions because she stated that they should not require a LOE for the derogatory accounts since they were all paid medical collections and  should not be counted due to FHA requirements. She also asked if I received her email with the dispute letter to be signed and my credit report and I stated that I had not received them.  She informed me that she would resend and check to see what happened to the original  email she sent because she didn't receive an error stating the email didn't go through.  Well, three hours later, I received another call and the broker is FRANTIC! She sent ALL my personal information, the dispute letter had my full SSN and my credit reports to the wrong email address!! She sent the information via GMAIL and you cant recall a message unless you set the feature in the settings prior. She stated that she doesn't know what to do because she never had this happen before.

I am LIVID that someone now has access to all my personal information and she has now put me at risk for identity theft and I've been through this situation ten years ago, so Im hoping pandora's box isn't opened while Im in the process of purchasing my dream home. Any advice would be welcomed how to handle this situation?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice on Mortgage Broker's Negligence

Honestly, there is nothing you can do at this point.

99.9% of people will realize that its not meant for them and either delete it or reply to the sender that it was a mistake. In the event that something actually happens in regards to identity threat, its hard to prove gross negligence on someone for missing a letter in a name or sending to gmail instead of ymail, etc. Most professionals have a disclaimer at the bottom of their e-mail that states that if the information provided is not meant, then legally they must delete it. 

Chalk it up, get your broker the info she needs and get the mortgage taken care of. 

Message 2 of 4
damnedanddetermined
Established Contributor

Not a whole lot you can do now, but the nice fair way to handle it would be for her to pay for you a full year of identity theft coverage from somewhere. Hope everything turns out well for you! Enjoy your new home!!

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jvgray2005 wrote:

Good Morning All,

I have a situation that I could use some advice on handling.  Yesterday I received a call from my mortgage broker stating that I received a conditional approval and underwriting requested that all dispute remarks to be removed, a letter of explanation  of why I didn't include child support payment received since I have dependents  or divorce decree in my application(which is crazy since I never applied for such and never been married), and a LOE for old derogatory medical collection accts that are paid and closed.  My mortgage broker stated that she would email me a dispute letter to sign to have the remarks removed from the credit bureaus so she can perform a rapid rescore along with a copy of my trimerge credit report showing where all the dispute marks were made. 

For a little background, the mortgage broker locked my in for a 3.75% rate on a FHA loan through Premier NationWide Wholesales with a middle score of 658.  So far, the inspection has been performed and the appraisal will be scheduled for the end of the week.  My mortgage broker called me again and stated that she questioned underwriting about the conditions because she stated that they should not require a LOE for the derogatory accounts since they were all paid medical collections and  should not be counted due to FHA requirements. She also asked if I received her email with the dispute letter to be signed and my credit report and I stated that I had not received them.  She informed me that she would resend and check to see what happened to the original  email she sent because she didn't receive an error stating the email didn't go through.  Well, three hours later, I received another call and the broker is FRANTIC! She sent ALL my personal information, the dispute letter had my full SSN and my credit reports to the wrong email address!! She sent the information via GMAIL and you cant recall a message unless you set the feature in the settings prior. She stated that she doesn't know what to do because she never had this happen before.

I am LIVID that someone now has access to all my personal information and she has now put me at risk for identity theft and I've been through this situation ten years ago, so Im hoping pandora's box isn't opened while Im in the process of purchasing my dream home. Any advice would be welcomed how to handle this situation?

Stay focus on the main goal and deal with any mishaps after you get the keys.   By then you probably will be so overjoyed and at ease  you won't be  thinking too much about the mishaps that occured.  You can request the Lender to pay for credit monitoring services for one year.  Good luck!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.