Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All but Nothing!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

All but Nothing!

I must say that I'm beyond irritated! Decent credit (700s), great savings, and an employment history with no gaps. The thing is, I became a 1099 worker a year ago. I worked both my W2 and 1099 for about 6 months then decided to let my W2 job go. My income increased significantly, so I had a little time to season my acct.

I applied for a mortgage loan with NFCU a week ago and was DENIED! Why...because I didn't have 2 years under my belt as an independent contractor. I was told that I'd have to wait a year because Navy needs to see my write offs to determine my income.

I'm extremely annoyed. The LO filed an exception because of my reliable employment history and ability to save money. Still a no go! I'm not sure if I should wait it out or pursue other avenues. Any suggestions?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: All but Nothing!

Yuck, I think you may be a bit stuck regardless of lender unless you go way far afield with the portfolio lender or some non-traditional loan route.

Basically if you're 1099 you need to show two years, if you're W2 you need to show two paystubs (yes they still want to see tax returns and they will ask questions, but 2 paystubs gets you in the door).  I personally think it's kinda dumb, but it's not likely to change since the number of 1099 earners in our economy has shrunk in the last decade from a labor statistics perspective (too many labor lawsuits really killed the independent contractor in a bunch of fields).  

If this were two years ago I'd say wait it out, but rates a year from now on something expensive like a mortgage hrm.  It might be worth your while to try to find a specialized lender or loan product if you have the income and assets to support it, thing is likely will be somewhat more expensive rate wise and that might be similar to what we'll have rate wise in a year for a mainstream loan product, hard to say but other than time you don't really lose much trying to talk to some folks.

I don't have any leads on them, they exist, but they're not common.  Some folks might have recommendations here, would help if you can disclose your assets and income and credit score as those of course are still going to be critical for getting a deal done.

Actually guess that wasn't as hard as I thought, Google has a slew just under "portfolio mortgage lenders" or "portfolio mortgage lenders <insert your state here>" haha.

        
Message 2 of 8
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Revelate wrote:

Yuck, I think you may be a bit stuck regardless of lender unless you go way far afield with the portfolio lender or some non-traditional loan route.

Basically if you're 1099 you need to show two years, if you're W2 you need to show two paystubs (yes they still want to see tax returns and they will ask questions, but 2 paystubs gets you in the door).  I personally think it's kinda dumb, but it's not likely to change since the number of 1099 earners in our economy has shrunk in the last decade from a labor statistics perspective (too many labor lawsuits really killed the independent contractor in a bunch of fields).  

If this were two years ago I'd say wait it out, but rates a year from now on something expensive like a mortgage hrm.  It might be worth your while to try to find a specialized lender or loan product if you have the income and assets to support it, thing is likely will be somewhat more expensive rate wise and that might be similar to what we'll have rate wise in a year for a mainstream loan product, hard to say but other than time you don't really lose much trying to talk to some folks.

I don't have any leads on them, they exist, but they're not common.  Some folks might have recommendations here, would help if you can disclose your assets and income and credit score as those of course are still going to be critical for getting a deal done.

Actually guess that wasn't as hard as I thought, Google has a slew just under "portfolio mortgage lenders" or "portfolio mortgage lenders <insert your state here>" haha.

^^^True, but before you apply, find out from the LO if they still underwrite using Fannie and Freddie criteria. I run into LO's all the time that state they are a portfolio lender, but their underwriting criteria is no different from Fannie and Freddie guidelines and that won't help the OP.   What they mean when they say "portfolio lender" is that they don't sell the loan for a certain time period. The reason they continue to use Freddie and Fannie guidelines is because they want to be flexible and have the ability to sell the loan in the future and retain the servicing. So check first. Some LO's don't know, they have to ask underwriting. So in OP's case, she will want to find out if she has to be employed 2 years with a 1099.  There will be someone out there, check with a mortgage banker that has the ability to broker out too. 

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Revelate. With that being said, it may be best to wait it out. I'm definitely not interested in a higher interest rate.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank. You! Good insight!
Message 5 of 8
kc0039
Established Contributor

Try asking your lender to run LP (Freddie Mac's automated underwriter). Dependent on lender, Freddie Mac may 'approve' this loan. It's always worth a shot. File your taxes immediately and the loan officer has to see the write offs. Also, is it in the same industry?

Licensed in IL
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is the same industry. I asked that question but the LO said it has to be 2 years working as an Independent Contractor.
Message 7 of 8
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

I have a lender that can do one year. PM me if you are interested. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.