Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All quiet post mortgage

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

All quiet post mortgage

Living in a new house after many years in the prior takes patience.  I can't find where stuff is.  I open the drawer looking for a fork and find papers, I pull the drawer for my socks and I'm greeted with underwear.  Music is a hobby of sorts, I have thousands of MP3s on my phone, and many playlists.  I have several books I refer to when making playlists ( I like to make playlists of the top ten songs of any given week going back to 1960.) one of them is missing.  I vividly reall packing my office away on Primrose, but the book is nowhere to be found.  All the boxes it should be in turned out no dice.  I gave up and ordered a replacement. It arrived yesterday.

Change of address is a PITA.  Most of the important have been notified, but a number fell through the cracks.  Our local church still has us on Primrose, but they can wait, I see those folks every week.  Amazon is good though, that was numero uno on the list to notifly followed by Chase since I hold two of their cards.

DW and I were eating supper the other night in the "auditorium" I mean dining room/ kitchen/ den.  Our in brother n law came to the porch and hit the doorbell, the door is mostly glass.  They just came to visit, and sat down at the table. 

"Anything to eat?"

"no thanks we just left Logan's, we just wanted to see how things were going."

"going great, we're settling in"

"I saw y'all at the table eating before we hit the bell, y'all looked lost in this big ole room"

"you get use to it"

Coming from Primrose, open concept was a foreign concept.  Our house there had a 70s "galley" kitchen= more than one in there and its crowded.  We had a small formal dining room, and breakfast area,  all were seperated by walls. That was a good system for a long time before some joker decided it was ok for people to walk around, talk, watch tv, and open cabinets while another guy was cooking.

They gave me a new phone number.  I was unable to secure the number issued to me in 1977.  We had to change carriers because they did not offer service in this area of the city.  The excuse given to me was it was disconnected and not available.

"of course its disconnected I MOVED"

"well you'll hafta to talk to the previous carrier"

"I will"

My fico is starting to recover from a closed out intallment loan back in April, a bunch if inq, the dang change of adress cost me 4.

DW told me when we moved in-

"What about the TV?"

"Got a new Sony on the way from Amazon"

"I don't want any wires ok?"

"So how am I gonna do surround sound?"

"You'll figure it out"

I solved that with a Bose wireless system.  Sounds good but not as good as the wired system I put upstairs in the media room, but it is sufficent.

So life outside the mortgage process continues.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: All quiet post mortgage

This scares me about our own evdeavor of building our dream home. I'm so excited about all the plans, looking at Pinterest for ideas and watching my scores that I'm afraid I will suffer from "the grass isn't always greener". I'm not good with change and have been in this house for 10 years. It's gotten me through a divorce, a new marriage, the deaths of my mom and brother, and welcomed my 2 children. It's an emotional attachment. It's my own little spot in the world and I know exactly where to go to find that one special wrench for my son's skateboard or the tiny skeleton doggy shirt we put on Yoda (our rescue) every year on Halloween, but trying to find the scotch tape that I used last week is impossible! I know that when we move, I will be looking for things for years. 

BUT...this is our dream home we are finally able to build. We've been waiting for this for so long. THe house is going to be perfect. We've picked everything from where the hose bibs go to which way doors will swing open. 

My question to you is: would you do it all over again? Has it been worth it?

Message 2 of 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Hehe, I hope life restarts post mortgage because I hate the process and myself right now; between work where everyone's on edge and doing silly stuff as a result, lack of sleep, lack of exercise, and mortgage meh... all I can do not to start screaming STIMPY YOU EEDIOT! at a non-trivial number of people in the office lately.

Glad you're settling in, I've been in this dark apartment/cave for the last 10 years, walked into the new place for home inspection and I damned near sat down on the floor to bask in the glorious afternoon light.  It's going to be a big change for sure, and it's got to be even harder coming from Primose... just isn't as many places for things to be put in my new condo heh.

Change of address won't affect your score any but is a trigger for a monitoring update.

        
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Too much room in the dining room means fico friends party, Bama. I'm thinking we can all make it a week from Sunday.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

... all I can do not to start screaming STIMPY YOU EEDIOT! at a non-trivial number of people in the office lately

I swear, I didn't see this until after posting an image of Ren in my own post! Hang in there, Rev! We'll fight off the space madness together! 

Bamaguy, I'm totally jealous! I can't wait to be in similar shoes.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

"My question to you is: would you do it all over again? Has it been worth it?"

In my case I really didn't have much choice.  The neighborhood had declined to the point it was now or never.  I would have never left primrose if the barbarians had not forced me out.  The once well kept homes and lawns evaporated into the past, replaced by tenants and owners who had no pride of ownership.  I had folks roaming the streets to all hours of the night, my poor 09 Civic was backed into 3 times in a year, and 5 times in 7 years.  Sometimes I had no choice but to park on the street.

We were married 8 months when we bought primrose.  It was a new spec house,  and at the time (1977) a nice home.  It was way more than newlyweds were suppose to have, but my sister helped us with the downpayment, and we were in.  Only 10 houses on the block, the early years all the homes lived in were young families like ours, but like many, most upgraded and moved on to bigger houses, leaving a core of about 4 old timers.  We were not in a position then to give up the 300 dollar a month payment we had on prirmrose, so we stayed.  Besides, we liked it.  It was home, we were kids when we bought it ( I was 22 she was 20) so we grew up there.

Last summer I was on a motorcycle trip through Colorado and South Dakota.   Riding the backroads of South Dakota, Kansas, and the Colorado Front Range, allows a individual to immerse in great swaths of solitude, and it was on this ride I began to think it was time to leave Primrose after 38 years.  I was cruising through the Sandhills of Nebraska, it was early morning and I rode East into a bright, almost luminous sunlight, that seemed to bleach the farmhouses I passed along the way into radiant boxes.   Having spent the last few days thinking about the subject I thought-

"If I'm EVER gonna move, I have to now, before the damage is complete.  We can cash in, turn in a good profit, and capitalize on all our work of the last 39 years."

I came home from that tour and had this exchange with the DW at supper.

"I think its time to move"

"really?? Where will we go?"

"I dunno, but they are making it where we can't stay here"

I told her all the positives of moving, but mostly if we didn't cash out now, we might not be able to later, and lose all that we have worked for.

Two days later I found a new patio home at a great price.  I took her to it and she agreed.  We spent a few days thinking on it and made a offer.  That offered was countered and we sat on it.  In the meantime I left for another trip, it was Fall so it was time for the Blue Ridge Mountains.  "We'll make another offer when I get back."  The sticking point on the first was the builder wanted to close in 30 days, and I wasn't sure how to do that.   A contract was put on the house before I could get back.

Dissappointed I went back to looking.  I found our present community and did some researche.  At first we figured out of our league, but after checking around I saw guys without the resouces we had, buy like homes.  So I stopped in the office here and found out I COULD do this and the rest is history.

Would I do it again?  Given the same circumstances?  Yes.  But I'll say this- It was long and sometimes daunting experience.  Not having bought a house in 38 years I was newbie.  I had to educate myself into what was going on, and run numbers all kinds of ways everyday.

Prirmose was paid for, it took 5 months to sell it.  At one point I went forward with the process under the assumption it would not sell, that didn't seem to bother me, in fact I liked it, becaue then Primrose would still be mine.  When the offer came in for it, I was almost sad.  It was a good offer however and in the end the head over ruled the heart.

I would not be here if I was still working.  I had been mortgage free for 8 years, and now I have sizable house payment, but I weighed that with the fact we have a guranteed income rest of our lives, with state pensions, and soon social security.  I do not have to worry about loss of income.  I would not do this at my age while trying to work.  At my age a loss of job, is almost insurmountable, and couple that with huge mortgage, you're looking at dire circumstances.

We are still trying to make this feel like home.  I see many of the samethings just in different places now.  DW wife had frog and mushroom thing that sat in the front flower bed at Primrose, that now occupies the front bed here.  It is shiny,new and modern, but it will never be Primrose, where the memories are so thick that when it came time to close the door and lock it the last time, I had to swat them away from the door.  The house there had that often repeated appeal called "character".  

Our new home has the biggest doors I've ever seen-9ft.  I think Primrose was 5 ft??  LOL.  Yes it is hard to find stuff here, because everything is so spread out.

We'd love to have y'all over to eat in the auditorium Pfarro. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.