Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Almost there..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Almost there..

Submitted an offer on September 18th and it was accepted on September 19th. This is the third house that we have attempted to purchase. The first one fell through when the seller decided they didn't like our mortgage company (crazy, I know.) and the second one fell through when the house appraised for $4,000 less than the purchase price. I didn't have the cash to pay the difference and the seller refused to adjust the price (and oddly enough I saw yesterday that they lowered the price to the appraised value, so that is kind of silly.)

Either way, we're sitting and waiting for the appraiser to do their thing. We ordered the appraisal last week on Tuesday. I called and spoke to her and she said she was busy and would do it Tuesday or Wednesday of "next week" which would be this week. Our purchase agreement has the close date of 10/15 which is next Saturday. Our mortgage company says that as long as the appraisal goes OK and she gets it on time we'll be good to close. The people who own the house moved out last week and we're living out of boxes since we have given notice to our landlord. I am hoping that everything goes smoothly.

My wife and I have dreamed about owning our own home since we got married five years ago. The stability that it would give our three kids is irreplaceable. However, this has been the most nerveracking, overwhelming, and frustrating thing I have ever had to deal with in my life.

I have never wanted something to be done and over more than this!

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Almost there..

I hope everything goes smoothly for you, Mahiven!  It will be worth it when it's done.  Good luck hanging in there.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 30
CS800
Super Contributor

Its really a tense situation when buying your first house but hang in there.

BTW Booner how the heck did you get 1877 posts in 4 months??  Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 30
gagum129
Regular Contributor

Hang in there. We are on our 3rd home as well. First was a HUD home. Second was a 6 1/2 month long attempt to purchase a short sale. Bank would not come down when house appraised for $5000 less than contract price. I did not want to pay the difference. Now we are under contract on a normal sale. Appraisal is today, I am keeping my fingers crossed. We have a 10/28 close by date so hopefully we will make it.

Good Luck!!!

Starting Score: 582
Current Score:
Equifax 684 MyFico 10/10/11
Transunion 659 lender pull 7/6/11
Experian 690 lender pull 7/6/11

Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 30
mamahearts
Frequent Contributor

Good luck!!! Smiley Happy  Hang in there!

myFICO starting TU 683 8/26/11
myFICO starting EQ 645 8/26/11
myFICO EQ 652 9/26
Message 5 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hang in there.

Did you already get your inspection done or do you have it setup to go once the appraisal comes in.

Message 6 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

We didn't ask for an inspection so we're only doing an appraisal. The roof, air conditioning/heating, water heater, appliances, kitchen, etc are all less than a year old. My friend who is a handy-man looked at it and thought everything looked good. The current owner has owned and lived in the house for 50 years and it is in pretty darn good condition for being 101 years old. There is some peeling paint on the exterior and some cracks in the walls inside that I think they will call us on but most of that is an easy fix.

The appraisal is schedule for today between 3:30-4:30. The appraisal lady said the mortgage company told her she had until Monday to turn it in, but they said they didn't tell her that so between the two of them they'll figure out when it is due. I have been actively working on buying a house since June and I am over it. I told my wife that when we close, I am taking the key and going to the new house and taking a nap on the floor. This is just ridiculous.

Message 7 of 30
creditisbetter2
Contributor

Good luck to you Mahiven, I too am in the same boat.  This is by far the longest most tedious process ever.  I already have an issue with being patient and this process is testing me to my very core.  I will keep my fingers crossed for you.  You mentioned in your post that you have spoken with the appraiser, did you choose that person?  The reason I ask is because ours was ordred on Monday by the lender and so we have no contact information for the appraiser and I wish I could speak to someone about when it'll be finished or the turnaround time.

Message 8 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditisbetter2 wrote:

Good luck to you Mahiven, I too am in the same boat.  This is by far the longest most tedious process ever.  I already have an issue with being patient and this process is testing me to my very core.  I will keep my fingers crossed for you.  You mentioned in your post that you have spoken with the appraiser, did you choose that person?  The reason I ask is because ours was ordred on Monday by the lender and so we have no contact information for the appraiser and I wish I could speak to someone about when it'll be finished or the turnaround time.

Like I mentioned, I am impatient and I don't like a day not going by without me knowing what has been done in regards to my file. When it came time to order the appraisal, I told the mortgage company that I needed to know who the appraiser was. I called them to see when they are doing it. The appraiser on the first house was fine with it, they even let me be at the house while they did the appraiser. This appraiser didn't like it. She told me that the mortgage company is paying for the appraiser, which is not entirely true. The agreement for the appraisal is between the mortgage company and the appraiser, so really they don't have to talk to me BUT I am the one paying for it, so I have the right to know. My mortgage company has been very understanding about that and they usually get back to me quickly when I request information.

Our appraisal supposedly happened within the last hour. I am going to call my realtor to see if he knows whether or not she showed up and completed. I hate sitting around waiting and feeling like nothing is happening.

Message 9 of 30
creditisbetter2
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@creditisbetter2 wrote:

Like I mentioned, I am impatient and I don't like a day not going by without me knowing what has been done in regards to my file. When it came time to order the appraisal, I told the mortgage company that I needed to know who the appraiser was. I called them to see when they are doing it. The appraiser on the first house was fine with it, they even let me be at the house while they did the appraiser. This appraiser didn't like it. She told me that the mortgage company is paying for the appraiser, which is not entirely true. The agreement for the appraisal is between the mortgage company and the appraiser, so really they don't have to talk to me BUT I am the one paying for it, so I have the right to know. My mortgage company has been very understanding about that and they usually get back to me quickly when I request information.

Our appraisal supposedly happened within the last hour. I am going to call my realtor to see if he knows whether or not she showed up and completed. I hate sitting around waiting and feeling like nothing is happening.

Wow that's awesome.  I wish I had that much power over my situation.  Maybe I should call my agent later this week and see if she can get the information to me.  At this point I just want everything to be over with.  We have 25 more days before close and I just want this to go as smoothly as possible.  How soon do you close?

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.