Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I Being Too Cautious?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Am I Being Too Cautious?

My husband and I are hoping to buy our first home this year. We've been working on boosting our credit and have been doing a pretty good job (in my opinion). We haven't been to a mortgage lender yet, because I'm just worried about the hard pull and being told we're way out of range. I only have 1B monitoring with myFico, and I just get a casual idea of my husband's credit through CreditKarma and Credit Sesame

Here's some of our basics:

Negatives/Debts:

Me (720): 4 Credit Cards for a total utilization of 60%; 1 paid collection(I disputed with the credit card company as I never received the original bill - mailed to a wrong address- but it still reflects 'paid as agreed'; 1 30+ late on Cap1 in 2012 (tried for Goodwill letter and got another 'paid as agreed')

Him (695): 1 Secured Credit Card, and added onto two of my accounts for total utilization of 50%; three open collections in the amount of $68 (insurance bill), $120 (gym membership); $1100 (old phone bill)

Positives/Assets:

Me: $2000 401K, paid off a $9700 car loan in 2015

Him: $19,000 401K (however this is employer match only)

Combined Savings: $10,000

Combined Gross Income: $58,000 annually

DTI: 27%/34%

Our goal is to be approved for FHA  loan and hoping to purchase about $180,000 house. Am I overanalyzing and thinking we're out of luck? The collections accounts and high credit utilization worry me, but we have good payment history otherwise and pretty good credit length (avg. account age is 8 years). 

Any recommendations/advice is welcome!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Am I Being Too Cautious?

you would likely to be able to get conventional or fha.....

lender can run the file both ways. conventional better in the long run

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Am I Being Too Cautious?

Thanks for the advice!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.