cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I getting the runaround? Mortgage gurus--I need some advice!

tag
msensa
Contributor

Am I getting the runaround? Mortgage gurus--I need some advice!

Is it normal for it to take so long to get approval from FHA with no scores?  We were given the green light by our broker 2 months ago to shop for houses--said to tell agents we were pre-approved.  Never saw a letter that said so...but we go out, find a house, love it, made the offer...over a month ago!  Now we're still waiting for approval.  Hubby's got no scores.  I've got scores, but a couple dings paying off won't fix (no pfd or gw success), and no income.  Got turned down from my broker's "sure thing" lender because of a combo of things that in essence the broker should have caught and we could have corrected before they denied us.  Now we're in no-man's land, our app is out and thinks "it looks really good...it just takes time".  We've paid our earnest money and paid for an inspection, and it's a game now to see if the realtor's gonna force us to get the FHA appraisal done before our approval comes in.  Oh yeah, and we're supposed to close in 9 days.

Guys, I really like this broker, I just don't know of anyone else having such a hard time.  What should we do?  Also, is DPA out for those with no/low scores?  We were told it was a disqualifier in KY.
I'm a tree hugging, peace loving, non-patchouli wearing new kind of hippie chick trying to find a comfortable balance in this consumer-driven world. I just wish I didn't have to care about credit.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Am I getting the runaround? Mortgage gurus--I need some advice!

We won't do seller funded DPA in declining markets. Are you in a declining market?
Approval time? Varies by lender. Longer(much) for brokers right now.

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 8
msensa
Contributor

I don't think the Louisville area is declining.

Why so much longer app time?  Just for brokers, or all?
I'm a tree hugging, peace loving, non-patchouli wearing new kind of hippie chick trying to find a comfortable balance in this consumer-driven world. I just wish I didn't have to care about credit.
Message 3 of 8
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Some lenders are getting out of wholesale. and some are learning that the brokered loans do not perform as well as their other loans. So they scrutinize those files.

Does all of that equate to longer underwriting? Well, maybe it contributes.... but I think that most lenders just haven't staffed up for the FHA rush of files.

Retired Lender
Message 4 of 8
chartley3
Frequent Contributor

If you have a bank in your area that does FHA I would suggest using them, They can usually get everything done within 30 days of apping give or take a couple weeks. Im working with 5/3 bank in Ohio and the process so far has been excellent and the mortgage rep has been very responsive to questions and returning calls.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@chartley3 wrote:
If you have a bank in your area that does FHA I would suggest using them, They can usually get everything done within 30 days of apping give or take a couple weeks. Im working with 5/3 bank in Ohio and the process so far has been excellent and the mortgage rep has been very responsive to questions and returning calls.

Ditto, ditto and ditto to EVERYTHING you have said here. We're going FHA through 5/3 right now (should be closing at the end of the month, fingers crossed), and between the fantastically efficient, communicative and professional people in their mortgage dept, and our unbelievably fantastic realtor... well, it's still utterly nerve-wracking, but I feel that our whole process is in VERY good hands!

To the OP, I can't offer much better advice than that, as I am far from an expert on this stuff. But when I read about the lack of communication etc that some people are enduring, while we're in regular phone/email contact with all the relevant people (Fifth Third have been in touch at least four times a week for the last few weeks, updating us on exactly where we are in the process, what's going on right now, what they're waiting for, etc - and being incredibly patient with all our mortgage-novice fretting!)... I think we struck lucky. Although I'm still the most anxious I can ever remember being, I can't imagine how nightmarish it would be being left in limbo for weeks with no clue what's going on.

Good luck!!! Smiley Happy

Message Edited by fevmlo on 05-19-2008 05:57 PM
Message 6 of 8
msensa
Contributor

Thanks to all who replied.  The wait continues.  I pressed my broker, who was supposed to have an absolute answer yesterday.  Who then received what they said was a "weird e-mail that didn't make sense, it's not good or bad" last night, again leaving me without an answer. 

I am getting ready to have a stroke.  I have never endured anything that makes you so nervous and feeling unsure.  Our feelings about buying a home...it better work this time, because I don't know that I'll ever get my hubby to go through this again.  He REALLY doesn't understand credit, and is ready to blow our whole wad just because he hates the system.   He's kind of like a kid when it comes to this stuff.  I have the pressure of explaining it to him, then him telling me none of this makes any sense.  And I see where he's coming from because this whole FICO system is screwed up.

How you can be penalized for not utilizing credit is absurd.  What about commending people with no debt for living within their means????  And for paying off tiny little blemishes from med collections? 

No score in this industry means you're just a big ZERO.  How nice of them, don't ya think??
Message 7 of 8
msensa
Contributor

OH, and I forgot...our supposed closing is in a week from today!!  Ha, ha!  The realtor's spazzing out for not having FHA appraisal yet...there's no way in hell I'm getting us on the hook for another $350 without even a pre-approval!!

I don't know whether to start packing or searching the ads for rental homes.  Anybody an expert on lease/option?
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.