Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I strange?

tag
the_jan_b
Established Contributor

Am I strange?

I would love to be able to own my own home someday; however, I am petrified of the entire mortgage process.  I keep thinking that what if after I bought a home and something needs to be repaired; what if I don't have the money to get it fixed?

Then there's the situation with my fiance who filed BK almost two year's ago: How will this "effect" the process when we're ready to buy a home (probably in about 3 years)?  I know it will have a huge negative affect on the mortgage process, but we're hopeful.  And then, what really has me concerned is that I'm a little too old to even begin applying for a mortgage...but I am truly tired of renting and not having anything to "show" for it (although the benefit (to me) of renting is that if something goes wrong, all I have to do is get in touch with the maintenance of the property that I'm renting, and the problem will be fixed.

I still have a few baddies on my CR, but I've made major progress in cleaning up my reports; but I'm afraid that no matter how squeaky clean my reports will be, that something is going to cause a setback; and I have to admit, I have no patience...

Enjoying your freedom? Thank a servicemember and their family!

In the garden since 26 Jun 14...

I am digitaldiva's alter-ego

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Am I strange?

Owning a home is obviously a huge commitment and it takes a lot of work. MY first advice is to try to save as much possible as you can. Get your downpayment saved, a few months of reserves saved, and an emergency fund saved. This will position you to go in without too much stress about the "what if finances".  

As for BK, I don't know much about this so hopefully others can chime in. 

Message 2 of 14
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

The one truly useful piece of long-term advice I found going through this entire process: do the budgetting exercise.  Right now even, I went through a "I can afford this / I can't afford this" bit of waffling this past week (when I'm already way pregnant on this exercise but I digress) but putting hard numbers down demonstrated I could make this work though some things will need to change in my life.  

I never have spent that much compared to my income nor compared to many others but even I was surprised when I realized my estimate of monthly expenses was 30% off from what I was actually spending.  Even if you don't really need to change a darned thing it can give some places to optimize and for me is worth way more than the hours worth of time it took to import the transactions from all my credit cards for the last six months.  Could've done that on the free trial version of YNAB even, though I paid the $60 and likely will be one of the smartest financial value decisions I've ever made.

I know "budget" is an obscene word in our consumer focused society, but if you're suffering from anxiety on this like I did, ignoring the negative connotations associated with it is incredibly smart.  

How I explain this whenever I get a SO I don't know, but it's another one of those canary conversations I think... saw a recent video on CNNMoney that 43% of people don't know what their spouse makes: that is simply astounding to me.

The actual process itself isn't as bad as some make it out to be if your ducks are in a row: I have all sorts of dirt on my file and the only negative that came out to haunt me was a paid tax lien which only shows as Released rather than Paid, and so Chase had to request information from the courts that it was indeed paid.  Vagaries of credit reporting and the State of California FTB. 

I don't know the rules regarding BK's but depending on the time period from the BK might affect some mortgage types that you can qualify on; have to admit never really paid attention to BK's as that was one of the few derogs I didn't have to sort out.  Knock on wood that never happens in the future either, I'd hate if I got as knowledgeable on BK's as I was forced to get on IRS tax liens Cat Tongue

        
Message 3 of 14
mynameainttracy
Established Contributor

I'm assuming he filed ch7? If so you will be fine with a bk. just start cleaning up his credit report, making sure things are reporting correctly. Also make sure you stay squeaky clean between now and then...no lates!

Also, like Rev said, budget. I've been house poor before and it sucks. This time around we could have spent a lot more but instead chose to buy in a more comfortable range and have plenty to throw into savings every month.
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

First i agree with all the other post save save budget budget. And no your not strange im in the same boat as you my nevers are bad going threw this fha mortgage process and im sure others are pulling there hair out not noing whats next. but you should be just fine after you sit down and start the process with the bank talking with my credit union really made me feel better. So when you are ready go in there with confidence. good luck

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agree with everyone above. And the biggest thing is to buy within your budget. Understand that homeowners insurance and taxes can add 50 percent to just the mortgage and principal. Know what it will cost you, then add 5 to 10 percent as a buffer. If that number is higher than what you are paying now, put the difference into a savings account. If you can live comfortably without that money, it will make you more secure. Plus it gives you a nice start on that down payment. Learn how to make minor repairs yourself, that will go a long way as well.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to add to my previous post... home depot, lowes, menards even ace have classes every weekend on some type of project. Most are free. You can learn almost anything you will need to know, from replacing a faucet, to painting, to far more advanced skills like laying flooring. There are also online tools. I had to take a homebuyers class, and they give you basically an annual checklist of things to check in your home. Fixing things when they are minor maintainance issues is much cheaper than waiting til things blow up!

Message 7 of 14
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Just to add to my previous post... home depot, lowes, menards even ace have classes every weekend on some type of project. Most are free. You can learn almost anything you will need to know, from replacing a faucet, to painting, to far more advanced skills like laying flooring. There are also online tools. I had to take a homebuyers class, and they give you basically an annual checklist of things to check in your home. Fixing things when they are minor maintainance issues is much cheaper than waiting til things blow up!

That's handy to know; was talking to a buddy of mine and he gave a list of things that were pretty much replace straight away unless you saw receipts within the last year (like for the water heater) or the model of toilet in use.  

I'm not very handy on fixing things having lived in apartments for 20 years (I'll do simple stuff but anything more complicated, yo landlord!) and I likely should go check that out looking at the budget numbers.  While I did put $350 in slush fund / month, fact is when I'm contributing 20% of my income now over half a year to try to max my 401K contribution, my income in vs. budget out is only positive by like 100 / month.  Oi vey, I have to keep reminding myself that the principal payment is just a different type of investment and not an expense per se... oh well looking forward to next year when I can scale back my contribution to something more reasonable, and also to that mortgage interest deduction come tax time Cat Tongue

        
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I couldn't get the file into the right format to post the checklist...and the link requires login, Ill get to it in the next couple days and post it here.

Message 9 of 14
ChistineNJ
Frequent Contributor

i think you guys will be fine on both aspects my situation is myself i filed bk 2 years ago i have rebuild since ff  to now i was almost ready to buy a home this month jointly with my father who is in his late 60s who says to me "im too old to be buying a home" i backed out when i was not comfortable enough with my measly savings. we were pre qual again not preapproved i guess from now moving foward we will be saving every penny for our downpayment and closing. 

C1 Venture 15K| NFCU NAV CHECK 15K| CASH REWARDS 5K| CARE CREDIT 3K| NORDSTROMS 1K| LORD & TAYLOR 1100| WALMART 600| TargetRed 500|Rebuilders

CAP1 1650| CAP 1 1100| BARCLAYS 2500| NREWARDS 8500|
SCT: VS 1100| EXPRESS 1100| JCREW 250| *HIDDEN TL BML 650

SCORES 709, 657, 623
Pre BK scores: 569, 587, 553
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.