Contributor
JMW331

Another $8,000 tax credit ????

I am currently a home owner.  My girlfriend and I will be getting married this June.  She is not on my current home loan.  We planned on upgrading after our wedding.  Since she never owned a house can she qualify for the $8,000 credit if it goes through???
Frequent Contributor
oldhack62

Re: Another $8,000 tax credit ????

First, realize that the stimilus bill, when enacted, amended the existing tax credit for first-time homebuyers -- it is not 'new' law. The parts of the law not amended stay the same. Thus, as stated in the original law, if married, both spouses must be on the new deed in order to claim the credit. Therefore, BOTH spouses must be first-time homebuyers (or not owned a residence in the previous three years). So, it looks like your fiance can only claim the credit if she buys, by herself, before you are married.
Valued Member
Richard

Re: Another $8,000 tax credit ????

Nope, unless she buys a house before whatever dates are noted on that Tax Credit bill. I'm still new to this so I could be wrong.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+