Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Tax Transcript Question

tag
ericschmerick

Another Tax Transcript Question

So.

My story in long, but the slighly shorter version is this:  I've been out of the country for 7 years.  I'm current on my taxes and always reported all my income.  Moved back to the US end of last year, in an apartment, started a new job, and now I'm ready to go buy a house.  Live in the bay area.

Went to see a (recommneded by friend) mortgage broker last week, thinking the answer was going to be "looks OK, but you need 6 months on the job".  I gave him all the docs I had, including my 2012 tax return WHICH HAD BEEN FILED ON APRIL 15TH OF THIS YEAR, ON-TIME, BUT ON PAPER.  I also gave him copies of my transcripts from prior years just FYI, recent paycheck stubs, etc etc.

So here's the thing.  He gets back to me in 2 days and says "good news, we don't need to wait, you're pre-approved, ready to make offers".  Found a house over the weekend, made offer, in-contract on Tuesday of this week (5/7, yesterday).

NEVER THOUGHT TO TELL ME THAT TAX TRANSCRIPTS FROM THE IRS FOR THE 2012 RETURN WOULD BE REQUIRED.  When I got the disclosures today, there was an IRS transcript request doc for me to sign.  I thought to myself, gee, I should remind him that the 2012 transcripts probably won't be ready from the IRS, and thinking "I'M SURE THEY WOULD KNOW THAT AND HAVE A WORKAROUND FOR DEALING WITH THIS."  Well, it turns out there isn't a workaround.  I need the damn 2012 tax transcript.

My financing contingency goes through 5/24.  My loan is set to close on 6/6.  Now I'm at the mercy of the IRS doing a timely job of processing my return and giving us transcripts.  I've never known the IRS to do anything in a timely way.  My return has been with them for 3.5 weeks, and it took me basically 2 hours on the phone today just to get a "nothing in our system yet, check back in a couple of weeks".

Finally, my questions:

1.  Anybody know a magic trick to get the IRS to process your paper return faster?

2.  Anybody know a magic trick to get the UW to not ask for 2012 transcripts, and just accept 2010, 2011, + my 2012 return copy?

3.  In the bay area now it's an intense sellers market.  Anyone have advice about how to approach a seller and ask for an extension without killing the deal?

Thanks,

Eric

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
somnipotent
Frequent Contributor

Re: Another Tax Transcript Question

They're required to verify income.  They had a rough time pulling mine as I filed a week before the tax deadline.  I provided copies of my tax returns plus proof of payment of due taxes and that sufficed.  I also got word they finally got my transcripts from the IRS as well.

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx Costco ($8.2K) | AmEx Delta Gold ($19.3K) | AmEx BCE ($5K) | Chase United Explorer ($10K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7.5K) | Chase Freedom ($8.2K) | Discover it ($3K) | Capital One Quicksilver ($2.5K) | PayPal Extras ($2.5K) | Lowes ($3.3K) | Walmart ($4.3K) | Amazon ($2.5K) | Restoration Hardware ($8.8K) | Crate & Barrel ($8.3K)
--
Homeowner since 05/29/13
Message 2 of 12
ericschmerick

Hi Somnipotent,

Was that this year?  Did you file paper or e-file?  My problem is apparently that I filed paper right on the 15th, and I have LOTS of extra schedules (foreign earned income, etc etc).  If you did paper, how long did it take from filing to transcripts?

I expect a small refund, so I don't really have a proof of payment.  I only have a copy of the return, and a certified mail receipt from the 15th showing I mailed something to the IRS.

Thanks for the reply,

Eric

Message 3 of 12
Sknyrd1977

I went thru this EXACT  situation about a month ago. My advice get with a tax advacate ASAP. He/She can expedite your transcript alot quicker. *I was scheduled to close on my loan March 20. The ONLY thing holding up the closing was my 2012 transcripts from the IRS (I filed electronicaly mid Feb.) I was told by the IRS that it would be after April 15 before I'd receive my transcripts-because they work the ones due a refund first and push all others to the back. So, a couple of days  later, I contacted a tax advocate, told her my story,  and was told to fax her a copy of my completed return to her and she would "manualy" get the IRS to "push it ahead in the system". Lo and behold , two weeks later I get a call from my advacate saying The IRS has my transcript completed and ready. I closed 5 days later. Long story short-Get a Tax Advacate....

Message 4 of 12
somnipotent
Frequent Contributor

I did an CPA prepared E-File.  The transcripts lagged so I provided the documentation as proof.  A week later I was told my transcript came through.  If you didn't owe and were due a refund, I believe that your documentation should be sufficent.

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx Costco ($8.2K) | AmEx Delta Gold ($19.3K) | AmEx BCE ($5K) | Chase United Explorer ($10K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7.5K) | Chase Freedom ($8.2K) | Discover it ($3K) | Capital One Quicksilver ($2.5K) | PayPal Extras ($2.5K) | Lowes ($3.3K) | Walmart ($4.3K) | Amazon ($2.5K) | Restoration Hardware ($8.8K) | Crate & Barrel ($8.3K)
--
Homeowner since 05/29/13
Message 5 of 12
ericschmerick

Thanks for the replies and comments.  I guess one of the key problems is that I'm a paper filer.  I contacted the tax advocates but I'm waiting to hear back if they are going to be able to help.  In the meantime I'm checking daily on the irs website to see if it will let me order transcripts.  Navigating the mortgage process is stressful enough - never thought I'd have the added stress of waiting on the IRS.

Message 6 of 12
vlaw1084
Contributor

Hello Smiley Happy

Make sure when you contact the tax advocate that you tell them of your need and that will adversely affect you and and your family if those transcripts are not gotten on time. The Lender must have them, it is a requirement with the 4506-T form.  May you be blessed in getting your home!  Smiley Happy

J

Message 7 of 12
terminalhockey11
Valued Member

My wife and I filed separately in February via e-file.  Her returns showed in the system and mine didn't.   She received a refund and I mailed my payment on 4/15

I had to show copy of completed return along with 2010, I'm not sure if they checked again.

Good luck.  One thing I've found helpful with processers and UW's is to offer solutions, but no more than 2.

"You can check again and pay for it, or I'm happy to show you my 2010 return if that will help speed the process along"

Message 8 of 12
ericschmerick

Thanks for the feedback.  Turns out if you are owed a refund they process your return faster, and if you had to pay money they don't start processing the return until June.  The logic is that if they owe you money, they must pay interest on your refund after 45 days or something like that.  On the other hand if you paid money they just cash your check, they have the money already, and they do the math later to confirm the amount was correct.

Message 9 of 12
ericschmerick

I faxed the local tax advocate on Friday but haven't heard anything back at all.  Smiley Sad  I'm going to call them today.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.