Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Verification of Rent Question

tag
Ravensfan2001
Established Contributor

Another Verification of Rent Question

Related link http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Mortgage-Loans/Verification-of-rent/td-p/2439473

A little history....  My landlords are a brother and sister. Both are on the lease. Sister says I'm always late with the rent. Brother says I'm not. All rent checks have been made payable to Brother for almost 2 years and have been paid by the 5th of every single month (not late). Sister is crazy, but she does everything in writing. Brother doesn't really care and tells me not to mind Sister. But he doesn't communicate anything in writing. I recently found out that this condo is under Sister's name only.

I filed a complaint with the county because Sister is charging late fees and gave me a Notice to Pay or Quit for September 1 that I received on August 23. Lol! Basically, she said I was late with September rent. She's bitter because she had to spend money to replace the AC unit. NOT our fault, btw. She's also bitter because she thinks we're refusing to allow her to inspect the condo. Twice, she was supposed to come and TWICE, she was a no-call, no-show. So apparently, that's our fault. lol!

Anyway, my LO is waiting for the VOR form from her. When I googled it, most of the forms ask if there are any lates and if the account is in good standing. I'm sure Sister is anxious to ruin my chances of getting this mortgage. Either that, or she won't return the form. My LO says there are ways around it if she doesn't respond. BUT... if she does respond with derogatory information, what do I do then?

I am preparing my cancelled checks and bank statements for the past 12 months just in case. I'm just worried how the underwriter will see this, especially since I also had collections on my credit (DH, too). Will this cause me to be denied? Everything else is in the clear, we're just waiting for the VOR.

Starting Scores: (4/16/12 lender pull) TU 596 | EX 550 | EQ 576
Current Score (9/3/15): Wally TU 639 | Amex EX 628 | DCU EQ 639
Goals: Homeowner as of 9/27/2013. Last app 8/1/15. TU-5; EX-16; EQ-13. Aiming for ZERO inqs.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Genkeim
Frequent Contributor

Re: Another Verification of Rent Question

I would think as long as you have the cancelled checks showing you have paid on time you should be good. I'm sure lenders run into non-cooperative landlords all the time. As long as you can backup what you say you should be good.

NFCU NavCheck $15k | NFCU cashRewards $12.5k | NFCU goRewards $12.5k |AMEX SPG $10k | Citi AA WEMC $6.5k | CSP $5k | Wal-Mart MC $4.5k | US Air WMC $3.9k | Amex Everyday $2k | Amex BCE $2k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $800
Current Scores:Equifax 697 (myFICO 4/14), TransUnion 699 (Discover 5/14), Experian 754 (Amex 5/14)
Message 2 of 7
Ravensfan2001
Established Contributor

Thanks for the reassurance.

Goals: Homeowner as of 9/27/2013. Last app 8/1/15. TU-5; EX-16; EQ-13. Aiming for ZERO inqs.
Message 3 of 7
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

I'd be prepared with a letter of explanation and the evidence you have to show they were made on time.  The cancelled checks should have a date they were cashed on.  You may want to remind her that any information she reports must be accurate and cannot be fraudulent.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 4 of 7
Ravensfan2001
Established Contributor

How would I explain that she is crazy and vindictive? Smiley Frustrated

Or I can say that all checks have been made out to her brother, which I have solid proof for. Whatever the issue is about late rent is between them.

But in reference to the date cashed, I think that's just as relevant as the date I wrote on each check. I have no say of when she cashes my check. But what my LO did tell me before is that they are only concerned when payments are made 30+ days late. All of my rent checks have been cashed by the 13th of the month. So it works for me, I guess.

Should I write something like this?

In reference to the late payments as stated by SISTER, I have a current complaint filed with COUNTY. To explain the situation further, my current lease is signed by both BROTHER and SISTER. All rent checks since October 2011 have been made payable to BROTHER. Per my telephone communication with BROTHER, no late fees are owed. However, SISTER disputes this. As of this date, no resolution has been agreed upon.

Attached are the cancelled rent checks for the past 12 months for your verification. If you have further questions....... blah blah.

Good enough?

Message 5 of 7
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Yeah that should be good enough - it lays out the facts and emotion is kept out of it.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 6 of 7
Ravensfan2001
Established Contributor

CRAZY WOMAN's email response to the request to send the VOR back asap:

Fax was received on Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 10:34 AM. 
I have other schedules and priorities in my life and I will get to that request at my earliest convenience time. 
She went on and on about my complaint. I'm hoping she doesn't respond and the cancelled checks are good enough for the loan to be complete.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.