cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Problems getting Mortgage Insurance? Declined? Seems like its lately really common occurance

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any Problems getting Mortgage Insurance? Declined? Seems like its lately really common occurance

Went through Chase underwriting but declined for MI, Chase does not inquire about MI until the last step in underwriting.  Guidelines changed recently. Missed closing, luckly got granted extension on closing for short sale.

30yr Conventional

90% loan 10% downpayment

717 FICO

38% DTI

Short Sale

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Any Problems getting Mortgage Insurance? Declined? Seems like its lately really common occurance

conventional MI is a tough nowadays without some really high Fico scores.   Thats why so may people are going FHA right now even if they have the scores and the down payment.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Any Problems getting Mortgage Insurance? Declined? Seems like its lately really common occurance

At what point did they let you know you would not be getting the conv. loan? I'm in the process now...last night I got an email from the UW wanting to know who I wanted to use for homeowners insurance, so I'm thinking they are getting close...I've provided all other info. But I can't get a FHA. I was told I can only have 1 FHA. middel score is 692. Do MI only look for the 720 score or is there other factors involved?

thanks

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

conventional MI is a tough nowadays without some really high Fico scores.   Thats why so may people are going FHA right now even if they have the scores and the down payment.

I *heard* that in many areas in Florida (where I live), even a 720+ can get you declined for MI on a conventional if you're buying in a declined area. That the majority of it depends on how much you put down (AKA, 720+ scores + 10% down + declined area = declined).

I dunno though. That's why I LOVE FHA!!! Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was notified on the last day of UW.  Chase policy it cannot be sent for MI unless underwiting is complete. 2months of UW and I was declined. 

LI NY, 10% down, 717 losest middle score, Short Sale, 38% DTI = NO MI

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I got lucky. In Texas the cut off for PMI is 680....My LO said I'm good.
Message 6 of 8
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

The score guidelines are going to vary with the different PMI companies also.  If your lender says that you were declined due to credit score then ask if they have checked with any other PMI companies.  If you live in a declining market that will definitely make a difference since it puts the MI company and lender at a higher risk.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 7 of 8
MattH
Senior Contributor

Here is "restricted market" information from MGIC, one of the largest providers of private mortgage insurance (restricted markets are markets where prices have been hit hard by the collapse of the bubble so they require higher FICO scores and bigger down payments):

http://www.mgic.com/guides/restrictedmarkets.html

And here are their rate cards:

http://www.mgic.com/rates/ratecards.html

Note that all of certain States (AZ, CA, FL, NV) are considered to be restricted markets.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.