cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any bankers/brokers on here to discuss a high debt ratio loan?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any bankers/brokers on here to discuss a high debt ratio loan?

Okay so I have two properties which I currently rent out but have been doing so for less than a year so there are no tax returns showing the rental income, just leases. I am trying to buy a 2nd home, and having issues w/ being denied due to my debt ratio. My credit is good (750), my assets are good, my job history is good, etc.. My only issue is my debt ratio. I tried to provide leases to my credit union, but since the leases are only for a 5 months period that I have owned the home, they divided that amount by 12 months to get a yearly average (which doesnt make sense to me because they are averaging it for months before I owned the home.. of course there was no income when I didnt own it, why not average by the amount of months its been rented currently???) .. By doing this, my debt ratio was now too high. The scenario is like this: Property A - 110k mortgage ($700 payment) - rented for $950 per month Property B - 313k mortgage ($1800 payment) - rented on short term leases, $1200 per week, past 5 months of total leases = $25,000 I have no other debt besides my car loan, and my student loans. Credit card debt is minimal, ie; 10-15 dollars a month. I keep low balances and pay it off monthly. So my question is.. What do I do? Do I have any options left for finding a lender to appove me by accepting the leases I do have? Or do I give up? Will I have better luck w/ a bank or a broker based on this situation?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Any bankers/brokers on here to discuss a high debt ratio loan?

It makes sense that the bank is dividing it by 5.  They can only take the amount that you have earned in the last year and divide it by the number of months.  Also, you are probably lucky that with short term leases they are even coutning the income.  Short term (vacationa type) rentals are very seasonal and most people would assume that the income in the summer would way outstrip income the rest of the year (unless in a ski area and then it would reverse to winter)  I think you will be SOL until both properties have a full year of tax retunrs available on them.  The banks are going to be concerened that you are in over your head too much too quick.  For example, with 3 properties, you need reserves for repairs, etc for all 3 (probably 25K plus)

Last, the wise move would be to take the 3K+ per month according to your figures, you are making in income off the 3 properties and pay down the debts over the next year.  Than maybe you could refi or get the payments to a better DTI range for loan approval.  Also, by then you will have the extra qualifying income.  Honestly, even if you found a lona package right now, it would be an ugly one cost wise due to the market for investment properties and the high DTI.  It is not like the prices are likely to jump alot in the next 6 months, and even if they do, at least you will be buying with alot better footing to do so.  
Message 2 of 3
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Any bankers/brokers on here to discuss a high debt ratio loan?

i think guidelines call for the properties to be on 12 month leases.....
Retired Lender
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.