cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any manual underwriters or person with knowledge opinions?

tag
vegas757
Valued Member

Any manual underwriters or person with knowledge opinions?

I am now in the dreadful process of waiting for manaul underwriting to decide my fate on a home. I was approved with automatic underwriting with scores of 631,631,625. My biggest fear is not my scores, it's my payment history. In November 2007, I sought the help of a debt management program for my 8 credit cards totalling almost $60,000.  In July 2011, I thought I'd check my credit score/report to see where I was at. Wow! Was I suprised. All 8 cards were reporting lates for 30/60/90/120 days since roughly November 2007.  To make a long story short, prior to going with a DMP, I had fallen 2-4 months behind on the accounts. When I called my creditors I was informed that although I had been making monthly payments since November 2007, I never made up the late payments, thus I had been late for all this time. Shock to me. I never received any phone calls, never received a late fee, and all that time had very favorable interest rates. But, as a man, it's my own fault in the first place...Well, I immediately paid all the past due amounts and since August 2011 through March 2012, I received good marks for these accounts and now have no debt. I have two new cc accounts since February 2012 and pay them in full each month. So no lates for one year come August 2012. Does anyone know if the underwriter will sooo deny my loan because of this history of lates? I had to write a letter to explain which I did. I am going with a VA loan, employed with same employer for 16 years, $71,000/yr, zero debt, and $10,000 in savings (and climbing). The negatives: late payment history, 2 small collections/paid over one year ago, 4 of the 8 cc's were charge-offs. Although it may not help, I never took a settlement and paid them all back in full.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Re: Any manual underwriters or person with knowledge opinions?

@vegas757 wrote:

I am now in the dreadful process of waiting for manaul underwriting to decide my fate on a home. I was approved with automatic underwriting with scores of 631,631,625. My biggest fear is not my scores, it's my payment history. In November 2007, I sought the help of a debt management program for my 8 credit cards totalling almost $60,000.  In July 2011, I thought I'd check my credit score/report to see where I was at. Wow! Was I suprised. All 8 cards were reporting lates for 30/60/90/120 days since roughly November 2007.  To make a long story short, prior to going with a DMP, I had fallen 2-4 months behind on the accounts. When I called my creditors I was informed that although I had been making monthly payments since November 2007, I never made up the late payments, thus I had been late for all this time. Shock to me. I never received any phone calls, never received a late fee, and all that time had very favorable interest rates. But, as a man, it's my own fault in the first place...Well, I immediately paid all the past due amounts and since August 2011 through March 2012, I received good marks for these accounts and now have no debt. I have two new cc accounts since February 2012 and pay them in full each month. So no lates for one year come August 2012. Does anyone know if the underwriter will sooo deny my loan because of this history of lates? I had to write a letter to explain which I did. I am going with a VA loan, employed with same employer for 16 years, $71,000/yr, zero debt, and $10,000 in savings (and climbing). The negatives: late payment history, 2 small collections/paid over one year ago, 4 of the 8 cc's were charge-offs. Although it may not help, I never took a settlement and paid them all back in full.

What did your loan officer state?!?! And what type of loan are you going with?

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 2 of 5
vegas757
Valued Member

VA. I went with a well known mortgage banker who assures me that I'll be fine. Based on stories I've read in here with people with much better scores and history than me, I don't see how I'll get a yes from underwriting.
Message 3 of 5
vegas757
Valued Member

Old Update: No problems at all...Been in my home for one year now...Fico at 702. Never again will I trash my score!

Message 4 of 5
Sunshine85
Frequent Contributor

Congrats Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.