cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any way around 3 year waiting period after foreclosure?

tag
geekmama
Contributor

Any way around 3 year waiting period after foreclosure?

I had a foreclosure in 2014 in Pennsylvania, due to a divorce. My credit report has the date as June 2014 however the county court lists the transfer as august 2014. The foreclosure was on a conventional mortgage.

I am interested in obtaining an FHA mortgage in Maryland. I'm reading that there is a three year wait.

Can anyone give me insight?
3 REPLIES 3
oldman425
Frequent Contributor

Re: Any way around 3 year waiting period after foreclosure?

Chapter 7 or 13?  My 13 discharged March 2015 and I learned that we need to be out of the BK for two years, not 3. 

12/27/16 - Eq683 TU666 Ex681 04/05/17 Eq742 TU763 Ex757
Message 2 of 4
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

@geekmama wrote:
I had a foreclosure in 2014 in Pennsylvania, due to a divorce. My credit report has the date as June 2014 however the county court lists the transfer as august 2014. The foreclosure was on a conventional mortgage.

I am interested in obtaining an FHA mortgage in Maryland. I'm reading that there is a three year wait.

Can anyone give me insight?

Hi Geekmama,

I just helped a client in AZ with a very similar situation.

You do not have to wait 3 years as long as the following conditions apply to your situtaion:

1) The property was awarded to your ex in the divorce.

2) The mortgage was current/not in foreclosure at the time it was awarded to your ex.

3) You have re-established your credit since the foreclosure.

When was your divorce? Did you have separation agreement prior to the divorce?

Was your ex awarded the property? Was the mortgage current at that time?

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 3 of 4
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

@oldman425 wrote:

Chapter 7 or 13?  My 13 discharged March 2015 and I learned that we need to be out of the BK for two years, not 3. 

Hi Oldman425,

Actually the FHA guidelines only stipulate that if your chapter 13 has not been discharged for at least 2 years, the lender must do a manual underwrite on your loan so you're eligible right now.

Heck FHA & VA both allow you to take out a mortgage while you're still in the ch 13 bk!

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.