Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any way to refinance?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any way to refinance?

I currently have an interest only mortgage at 6.5%. I have been paying a little more than the amount due and am not delinquent, however home values in my neighborhood have been steadily declining and the house is now worth about what I owe so my LTV is not good. Because of this I'm anxious to pay the principal down as much as possible, but would be able to do that a lot easier if the rate was lower. I'd be happy to go into a principal and interest loan if I could get a lower rate. Unfortunately, the loan is not Freddie or FNMA owned. I am not delinquent on payments. Is there any possible way to refinance given the decreased value of the house?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Any way to refinance?

You may be able to refinance with an FHA loan, if the value of your home falls within the FHA limits.  However, you'd need to have at least 3.5% equity.  Also, because of the high LTV ratio in the refinance, you'd have to pay an upfront and monthly mortgage insurance premium until you reach a certain LTV, which would partially offset any lower interest rate that you're able to get.  There's other details about the MIP that I haven't mentioned that you'd have to investigate.  I don't have any experience with FHA myself, and I don't know how easy it is to refinance.

A conventional refi is not an option unless you're able to bring a lot of money to the table.  You could try to work with your lender directly to request a loan modification.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure how I missed that, but I see now that you're right - non FHA loans can be refi'ed up to an LTV of 97.75% which is great. From what I see now on MIP it looks like it would be 1.75% upfront and an additional .55% annual premium. Running the numbers, it doesn't make sense for me financially.

If a loan rate is modified by the existing lender without doing a full refinance, does that report negatively on your credit?

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

yes, a loan modification will seriosuly hurt your credit.  Also, they usually will not even discuss it with you until you are at least a full month or two behind becuase they are just too backlogged to deal with anyone that is not already in dnager of loosing their home.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's what I've heard.

Lel, I remember you succesfully had your interest rate modified by BOA last year. Did that have a negative impact on your credit? Was it reported in any way?

Message 5 of 6
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Loan modification does not necessarily have a negative effect on credit scores.  In fact, before the government plan was announced, there were very few reports of drops in credit score due to modification.  Now that the CDIA has come out with new reporting guidelines for modifications under the Making Home Affordable plan, people are seeing drops in score.

Since you don't have a Fannie or Freddie loan, you can't participate in MHA.  You'd have to negotiate a modification outside the plan, which isn't necessarily harder, but it is true that in general the major lenders are swamped with requests, leading to a backlog.

My modification did not affect my credit score.  At least not yet.  I'm waiting to see if the reporting changes in the future.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.