cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone Know About Mortgages on Floating Homes?

tag
NYSuperdoodle
New Contributor

Anyone Know About Mortgages on Floating Homes?

I'm considering buying a floating home (houseboat without a motor) at the local marina. Anyone know how the mortgage process or guidelines work for those?

April 1 2014 EQ-555 TU-545 EX- 545
April 29 2014 EQ -714 TU-579 EX- 698
May 1 2014 EQ 721, TU 707, EX 698
All tracked with USAA credit monitoring via Expedia
FICO Score June 10 2014 EQ 719
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Anyone Know About Mortgages on Floating Homes?

I do not.  But at one time Pacific Crest Savings Bank & Viking Bank (both located in Washington state) did them, they still may.  Here is one in Kentucky that appears to still do them - http://www.mbcbank.com/personal_banking/loans/houseboat.htm

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 4
NYSuperdoodle
New Contributor

Thanks. I'm going to contact them straight away. I went and looked at the houseboat today, and it's larger than my house now. It's in the same neighborhood, costs about half as much as the cheapest house in my neighborhood, taxes are included in the slip fee, and the kids seem to love the idea.

If I can get it financed (EXP FICO is at 656 today, I just checked), I think I might have a winning idea here. Aggravated that my EXP FICO is tracking lower than the Experian PLUS score from my Experian monitoring, but it's trending upward at a pretty good clip, so hopefully it'll catch up soon anyway. 

April 1 2014 EQ-555 TU-545 EX- 545
April 29 2014 EQ -714 TU-579 EX- 698
May 1 2014 EQ 721, TU 707, EX 698
All tracked with USAA credit monitoring via Expedia
FICO Score June 10 2014 EQ 719
Message 3 of 4
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

You can Google "Houseboat loans" and come up with more options too.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.