cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apartment Leases - How do you guys handle?

tag
Amythyst
Contributor

Apartment Leases - How do you guys handle?

Hello!  I am writing because I'm curious how other people have handled this with their apartment complexes.... our current lease expires in December of this year.  We are scheduled to close on our new home build (per the contract) of August 30th. 

My apartment complex requires a 60 day notice and 2 months lease break fee. 

As we are having a home built... the August 30th close date is estimated and I don't believe set in stone.  But, with the apartment complex requiring a 60 day notice... how the heck am I supposed to coordinate this?  I plan on sitting down with the leasing agent in the near future but I was just curious about other people's experiences with this situation?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
foofighter74
Established Contributor

Re: Apartment Leases - How do you guys handle?

I would just assume you'll close in the first couple of weeks of September.  So if it's September 10th, you'll give your notice on July 12th.  And ask if you can pay pro-rated rent in addition to your 2 month lease break fee if you close near your vacate date and can't get out until the 15th or whatever the date winds up being.

Message 2 of 3
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Re: Apartment Leases - How do you guys handle?

I had to give 2 months notice and they were going to charge a big fee to cancel the lease. But they said if they can get it rented out, id be off the hook. I gave notice and that same day they had someone scheduled to move in when I moved out.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.