Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apply for new credit after closing

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apply for new credit after closing

I closed on May 26th (friday) and got keys on hand. Is it ok to apply for new credit on May 29th(memorial day) ? I did not ask LO where loan funded or not. Please advice if it is ok to apply for new credit?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: Apply for new credit after closing

@Anonymous wrote:

I closed on May 26th (friday) and got keys on hand. Is it ok to apply for new credit on May 29th(memorial day) ? I did not ask LO where loan funded or not. Please advice if it is ok to apply for new credit?

If you "closed" meaning you signed all the papers and they handed you the keys along with the agreed terms of your mortgage, it's a done deal. Mortgage loans are not "funded" as is a auto loan where the dealer lets you take the car home subject to being financed. An approved mortgage that is part of a property closing is fully funded by the lender meaning that you won't be "allowed" to close unless the loan is approved and "funded". If I remember correctly in some states there is a 3 day "kick out" or cooling off period that allows you to back out - or at least there used to be, but thats for the buyer not the loan provider or seller. 

http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title59.1/chapter2.1/section59.1-21.3/

So, basic answer is do what you need to do as far as buying furniture on credit or that new TV for the new house or whatever, it will not affect your purchasing of a house that you have already closed on.

Congrats on the new home - enjoy the joys of cutting grass and raking leaves Smiley Surprised  

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Apply for new credit after closing

Thank you pipeguy Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.