cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for FHA or USDA loan, What should I do about judgments?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Applying for FHA or USDA loan, What should I do about judgments?

My husband has two judgments from 2005 on all three reports. We just paid both off about a month ago. We want to apply for either an FHA or USDA home loan in March. The judgments have not been updated on the reports as being paid, should we contact the CB to have them updated or should we wait to do that at closing? I am afraid that since the judgments are old, that updating them as paid will lower his score. His middle score is just above 620 now, so we can't afford to loose any points, what should we do?????
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
donkort
Valued Contributor

Re: Applying for FHA or USDA loan, What should I do about judgments?

I would say the best thing to do is to get proof that you paid your judgement (i.e., receipts, court records). Unpaid judgement, in many cases, are deal killers. I recently closed--but had to furnish proof that a state tax lien was satisfied.  If I wasn't able to furnish proof RIGHT THERE, we would not have been able to close. Unfortunately, the Loan Officer lost the proof--so the lesson is:  make sure your loan officer acknowledges receipt of this proof, and make sure he/she saves it on his/her computer.  And bring that proof to your closing.

Experts, chime in if I'm wrong.

Good luck on the pursuit of your new home.

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 2 of 6
Regular Contributor

I'm not sure if your husband will lose points if the credit bureaus update the judgments as paid.

However, we are currently going through the mortgage process for FHA. My husband has a outstanding judgment that we are trying to get paid. (can't find the plantiff). And all the loan officer wants is proof that the judgment has been satisfied. So hopefully you have received a letter of satisfaction or something similar. I can't recall the exact name but that should be enough to provide to your loan officer.

Good luck!

Message 3 of 6
estabar

Underwriting will require proof that the judgments were satisfied (paid) ....
Message 4 of 6
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not sure if your husband will lose points if the credit bureaus update the judgments as paid.

However, we are currently going through the mortgage process for FHA. My husband has a outstanding judgment that we are trying to get paid. (can't find the plantiff). And all the loan officer wants is proof that the judgment has been satisfied. So hopefully you have received a letter of satisfaction or something similar. I can't recall the exact name but that should be enough to provide to your loan officer.

Good luck!

I don't know about your state, but in our state, you can pay your judgment amount to the Clerk of Courts at the county courthouse. Either they will find the plaintiff, or they will hold the money. I don't know what happens if they ultimately don't find the plaintiff.

Message 5 of 6
Regular Contributor

@LynetteM wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Good luck!

I don't know about your state, but in our state, you can pay your judgment amount to the Clerk of Courts at the county courthouse. Either they will find the plaintiff, or they will hold the money. I don't know what happens if they ultimately don't find the plaintiff.

Unfortunately in my state you have to file a petition with the circuit court to have the judge allow you to pay the court and mark the judgment as satisfied. I am in the process of trying to find out how to petition the court myself versus going through a lawyer. We spoke with a lawyer and she wants to charge $1500 for her to do this for us. But thankfully there is a statue in my state that will allow us to pay the court. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.