cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for a 2nd Mortgage - How to finance it?

tag
dcw0405
New Contributor

Applying for a 2nd Mortgage - How to finance it?

Hi Everyone,

I'm going to try to make this post as simple as possible so bear with me!  I purchased a foreclosed townhouse a few years ago when I was single.  I'm now married with a baby and we need more space!  My home was appraised for $90,000.  My outstanding mortgage loan balance is $45,000.  I believe that means that I have $45,000 of equity in my home.  After doing some thinking, I want to hold on to my townhouse and turn that into a rental.  So now I'm wondering how in the world you go about purchasing a second home.  Between my husband and I, we have approximately $10,000 saved for a downpayment.  We'd like to repipe the townhome prior to having tenants in here since we have the old polybutelene piping which is cracking everywhere and that job is going to be approximately $5,000 to complete.

Is it possible to take out a home equity loan to do the repairs AND use the remaining monies to use as a downpayment on a new property?  Is it possible to do a cash-out refinance on my townhome and use the extra monies as a downpayment on a new property?  If I take out a home equity loan or do a cash-out refinance, can we STILL apply for a 2nd mortgage on another property or will that possibly block us?

As far as qualifying for the 2nd mortgage, I don't have a TON of concern about that... Our current monthly debts are as follows and given our monthly income, we have sufficient amount to cover the debt, plus a new mortgage:

Monthly Income (Gross) = $8000

Townhouse Mortgage = $400

Student Loans = $320

Credit Card Payments = $100

I'm wondering if anyone has ever been in this situation and what steps they took to buy their 2nd home.  Also, the mortgage is solely under my name, not my husbands.  We would be buying the 2nd property as a couple.  Any input/advice would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

Dani

Starting Score (01/31): EQ: 609; TU: 641 EXP: 641
Current Score (09/02): EXP 724; TU: 710; EQ: 700
Goal Score:Over 750, PLEASE!! Smiley Happy

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Applying for a 2nd Mortgage - How to finance it?

Yes you can apply for a cash out second mortgage or a HELOC on your current primary residence.  There are limitations as to how much cash you will be able to take out. The CLTV is limited to 80% or 85% IIRC.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.