cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for credit card while in Mortgage process..

tag
mrfarias
Established Member

Applying for credit card while in Mortgage process..

Since being pre approved for FHA I applied and was approved for 2 credit cards my agent is ready to send everything to my bank how can this affect me ?

24 years old..

[ Chase Freedom - $2,500 l Capital One Secured - $300 l Capital One Platinum - $750 l Discover IT - $1,200 l Express NEXT - $900 ]

TU Score: +722 as of 04/11/13
EX Score: +666 as of 04/11/13
[2013 Goals: To be a homeowner, Get AMEX BCE, Cancel Cap1's]
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

Re: Applying for credit card while in Mortgage process..

I guess first question would be...why would you do that? Second would be, have you charged anything on them or do they have a $0 balance?

If you haven't charged anything, then it may affect you if it lowered your credit scores, and it most likely did (inquries + altered your average age of accounts, both things that lower your credit score). How much your credit score dropped and what score you need for your particular loan, I dont know. You will also most likely need to provide a letter of explanation stating that you applied for new credit but did not incure any new debt.

If you have used the cards and there is a balance on them, then not only will it change your credit score (same as explained above) but it will also change your debt-to-income ratio that is used for the loan, unless you did a balance trafser from another car (and that old card is now reporting $0 balance).

Message 2 of 17
raisinitup
Regular Contributor

Yep, never want to do that. The goal is to keep your credit picture as consistent as possible while going through this process. The lender is watching your every move and one misstep could set you way back.
12/11/12 Starting Score EQ FICO - 583/ TU FICO - 615/
4/1/13 - Lender Pull - TU - 645 EQ - 675 EX 712
Each One - Teach One
Message 3 of 17
MainMan
Valued Member

Why did you even consider doing that? There has to be a reason behind it. Bottom line is it isn't good and can and probably who'll effect u
Lender Pull -TU 647-Fico as of 5/5/13, EXP 677-lender pull 3/13/2013 EQ 618-Fico as of 5/5/13
Message 4 of 17
mrfarias
Established Member

I realized it was a stupid but can you guys please tell me how can it affect the app ? 

24 years old..

[ Chase Freedom - $2,500 l Capital One Secured - $300 l Capital One Platinum - $750 l Discover IT - $1,200 l Express NEXT - $900 ]

TU Score: +722 as of 04/11/13
EX Score: +666 as of 04/11/13
[2013 Goals: To be a homeowner, Get AMEX BCE, Cancel Cap1's]
Message 5 of 17
kdmitchell27
New Contributor

You can't fix it. As soon as they post on your credit report as a new inquiry the lender will question it. If it was another mortgage lender that's one thing but if it was for a line of credit such as credit cards, well just get ready to explain why you did it.

And hopefully it doesn't affect your DTI.

Lender Pulled Credit Rating as of 4.10.2013. (Fico Experian: 660) (Fico TU: 685) (Fico Equifax: 659)
Message 6 of 17
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

@mrfarias wrote:

I realized it was a stupid but can you guys please tell me how can it affect the app ? 

Did you read my reply?

Message 7 of 17
raisinitup
Regular Contributor

Sorry, we're not beating up on you, that's just a bad idea but you can't take it back at this point. Let your LO know and ask if it has or will alter your pre approval.
12/11/12 Starting Score EQ FICO - 583/ TU FICO - 615/
4/1/13 - Lender Pull - TU - 645 EQ - 675 EX 712
Each One - Teach One
Message 8 of 17
MainMan
Valued Member

If the inquiry drops your score , which it normally does, you have to hope it doesn't put you lower than the required score. Are you going FHA or Conventional?
Lender Pull -TU 647-Fico as of 5/5/13, EXP 677-lender pull 3/13/2013 EQ 618-Fico as of 5/5/13
Message 9 of 17
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

I applied and was approved for a Chase Freedom a few days before applying for mortgage preapproval. The mortgage lender called Chase with me on the line to verify the card had a zero balance. My LO told me before this to not use the card until after closing and my fico score at the time was 703 so I wasn't worried.

Let your LO know right away. Did you charge anything on the cards? What is your DTI without the new cards?

I'm not going to sugar cost the situation. The worst thing that can happen is a denial due to DTI being too high after the new CC debt is added.

If you exceed the approvable DTI ratio, there is a slight chance you will still close IF they don't do a credit repull right before closing.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.