Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Applying for loan

Hey all,

I just asked a girl with Well Fargo to pull my credit report and start the apporval process for a home loan. My creidt isnt great but not horrible either (697). I was wondering how much I might save by shopping for rates. I understand that once I have it pulled once for a mortgage I can do so as many times as I want in a month with no additional effect on my score...Is this true?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Applying for loan

OK...I just heard back....Mortgage agent says that I qualify for at least 375K...My scores are as follows

EFX     697
XPN     700
TU      678

The rates they offer are

FHA                                                             5.25%
Conventional                                                 5.375%

Looks to me like FHA is the way to go here....any advice? and given the rates quoted should I shop around?

Message 2 of 4
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Do you have enough down payment for a conventional loan?  FHA requires a small down payment, but there is usually a mortgage insurance premium that adds to the cost of the loan.  The MIP could offset any savings from the slightly lower interest rate.

Message 3 of 4
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Rates look competitive, no points/origination fees I hope?  Did you get a list of the lender fees that go along with it?

If you have 10% down or more, with the mortgage insurance rates, conventional starts to gain advantage... less than 10% down, the payment is usually lower with FHA.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.