cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for mortgage jointly or solo? One of us is a medical doctor...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Applying for mortgage jointly or solo? One of us is a medical doctor...

The programs you're thinking of are sometimes called "Doctor Loans" meaning 100% financing, no PMI, and no counting the student loan debt against you. I don't think there are very many 100% financing programs left, as most seem to require 3-5% down payment.
 Just as an update, my significant other's FICO's are 797 and 759. 
 Thanks!

@Lel wrote:
Back when I had just finished my schooling and was entering postgraduate training, several lenders had mortgage programs that were supposedly designed specifically for physicians.  I don't know if there was anything really special about them - probably not - but maybe those programs still exist.  I kind of doubt it, though, given the overall tightening of lending practices.

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Applying for mortgage jointly or solo? One of us is a medical doctor...

Well, in case anyone was interested...

We got pre-approved for $200,000, 5% down with no PMI! By "we", I mean "her" since she's the one with the MD.  Smiley Happy

We can apply for an exception to give us 100% financing. Since we're buying in a declining market, they want some down payment. I was thinking of applying for the 100% financing and using the $8000 tax credit as a sort of retroactive down payment. That way, we could use what little money we scraped up to fix and furnish the house (if needed, that is). Is that a good idea or should we just tighten the belt and come up with the 5% down payment?

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.